10 Gallon Multi Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I do not think that the THR could cause a problem to the water pH or hardness; because you are going to have a Tang species that loves high pH and hardness. These 2 parameters will rise first but later they will stay permanently stable; due to the buffering action of the THR. So, instead of a schedule of 2 10% weekly WCs, IMO I think that it would be better to the fishes one 25% weekly water change.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
So if, say, she haa pretty soft water with a ph of 7 coming from her tap, and does a 25% water change, that won't bring her nice Tang Lake hard (gh/kh), and high ph (maybe as high as 8.5-9ph) tank water down enough to be too big a swing for her critters?

I know Jinkzie's water is pretty hard and she and Anna both are in PA, not too far from each other, so it may not be an issue anyway.

I'm interested to know about that, too, because I have considered doing a Rift Valley tank, my water is pretty soft, low gh and kh, and the ph is around 7. If I did a tank that tended towards really high gh and kh and around 8.5 to 9.5, would 25% be the max I should do each week?

Should I try to set up a reservoir with some THR chunks in it to have water prepared for water changes? I kind of like the idea of a reservoir if for no other reason than to have the temperature matched and ready to go.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I don't think there would be a too big swing in pH or hardness, doing a 25% WC in a tank with THR. I'm sure that Pittbull does bigger water changes in his tanks with THR, without any bad issues so far.
The idea of the reservoir with water and THR chunks to use it in water changes, is a good one IMO if you can do it.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Thanks for the pointers efors. :)

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You are welcome, anytime!

zoomed.com