20 gal. L/ GBR planted tank critique please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I like the shape and layout of all of the rocks, but Im concerned that they're not all the same type of rock. When they get wet the color differences are going to be even more obvious. I think you'll end up happier if you stick with one of the layouts that use only the same type of rocks.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
That is a good point. Rocks that are basically identical in composition (hence colour) will look more natural. Mixing can work if there are enough of each type to make it look realistic.

A thought though, given the intended fish in post #1. I would not bother with rocks but use chunks of wood, like the Malaysian Driftwood. These fish all occur in habitats full of wood, sand and dry leaves. If providing a more natural setting is what you're after.

Byron.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
You are right. When I tested them and then rinsed them some where rose color and the others grey. I like the smaller upright rose colored one for its size and shape...but the other rose colored ones are kinda blah.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I wonder how all rose colored rocks would look against all the green and whatever color substrate....hhhmmm.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Against dark sand pr some kind of aquasoil, the rosey color would really pop and plus, red really accents green.. so your plants would pop amazingly xD

twillis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2013
I agree with what people are saying about keeping the rock color/texture consistent throughout all the rocks. Also have you thought about using smaller pebbles? It could scale of those larger rocks and make them feel more like a giant boulder, or something along those lines. *Sorry if someone has already mentioned that, I have not read all of the comments.

I definitely like the 3 large rocks over 4, have you thought about pulling one side a little bit more towards the center and off the glass? I'm not saying to actually put one in the center, just moving it a little over. Even though their are obviously more rocks on one side that the other, having both sides up against the glass still have a little bit of a symmetrical feel to me. Pulling one side off a little will help make it a little more asymmetrical and look more natural. Just a thought though.

Sorry for all the critiques, I actually love the layout already. I am a graphic designer so its been hardwired into my brain to critique something even if its almost perfect. Good work, can't wait to see it come together.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
[twillis]
I agree with what people are saying about keeping the rock color/texture consistent throughout all the rocks. Also have you thought about using smaller pebbles? It could scale of those larger rocks and make them feel more like a giant boulder, or something along those lines.

What do you mean? I think I understand, but I would like to be sure. Use smaller rocks in conjunction with the bigger ones? Or replace big with pebbles?

I definitely like the 3 large rocks over 4, have you thought about pulling one side a little bit more towards the center and off the glass? I'm not saying to actually put one in the center, just moving it a little over. Even though their are obviously more rocks on one side that the other, having both sides up against the glass still have a little bit of a symmetrical feel to me. Pulling one side off a little will help make it a little more asymmetrical and look more natural. Just a thought though.

I can shift the left side off the glass, it was apart of the original design...but after adding the original rocks, the tank began to look awfully small. But with smaller rocks it is very possible.

No worries twillis! And thank you and Jemi for the most recent post. I will be seeing if I can return my grey rocks, well more like swap, and go red.

I am looking at Eco complete for my sub, capped with a thin layer of rock perhaps. I like the idea posted about a darker sub and red rocks against the green.

I don't know if I shared this yet....but I Plasti-dipped 3 side of the tank.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
That is a good point. Rocks that are basically identical in composition (hence colour) will look more natural. Mixing can work if there are enough of each type to make it look realistic.

A thought though, given the intended fish in post #1. I would not bother with rocks but use chunks of wood, like the Malaysian Driftwood. These fish all occur in habitats full of wood, sand and dry leaves. If providing a more natural setting is what you're after.

Byron.
That was my original intent. I found very little info via google to confirm anything solid. I did read that they come from some areas that have smooth rocks, so I thought I was heading in the right direction with the design of this tank. Any chance you would have a link or pictures or possibly a book to help my better understand their natural habitat? And I realize now that I have Not thanked you for your input in helping me get this right and setup properly.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
That was my original intent. I found very little info via google to confirm anything solid. I did read that they come from some areas that have smooth rocks, so I thought I was heading in the right direction with the design of this tank. Any chance you would have a link or pictures or possibly a book to help my better understand their natural habitat? And I realize now that I have Not thanked you for your input in helping me get this right and setup properly.
I have done considerable research into fish habitats, it is one of my main interests. Mikrogeophagus ramirezi occurs in the llanos of the Rio Orinoco and Rio Apure systems in the savannahs of Venezuela and Colombia, and never sees a rock. The substrate is sand littered with wood and leaves. The main river channels are different, but the fish do not venture there. Photos below may help illustrate; this is from the website of a collector of fish in Venezuela, and shows a pair in one habitat.

Corys are variable depending upon species of course, but they are always found over sand. Again, with wood and leaf litter. If you could mention the species you are intending, I might be able to pin this down more specifically.

Byron.

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi in habitat.jpg

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Byron, I have found some time to look at the info you provided and try to make some decisions so we can better decide how to proceed.
I have seen Indian almond leaves for sale to use in this type of tank setup. How do you know how many to use? What is the maintenance like because of these leaves?
I would like to check locally to see if my LFS has Malaysian Driftwood. would Manzanita wood work? The reason I ask is the pieces of Malaysian DW I have found for sale online are big chunks, not a lot of fingers or definition.

As for other stock in the tank...I want to keep it to a minimum. I know rams are sensitive to poor water conditions.

I would like MTS for substrate maintenance (not sure on a good number for a 20 Long).

I see rummy nose tetras are native to the same area, they would be nice. I even really like cardinal tetras. Say 6 of one or the other?

Now I have a choice between these two natives: otto's or one clown pleco.

I have read dither fish are important to make rams feel comfortable and I would like a decent clean up crew. those are the only two requirements for other fauna I am trying to meet.

And before anyone ask, I like corys (pandas especially) but I have seen some post on the rams beating on them because they roam on the bottom too. with or without the rams spawning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store