20 gal. L/ GBR planted tank critique please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
As for the rocks, nothing is finalized. I may remove it if I find suitable DW.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Thank you for the kind words; I try to help where I can.

I am honestly not sure which species I have. Last time I got a good measurement on him he was every bit 7 inches.

That looks like a true Farlowella, not a Sturisoma [the "Royal" species]. Can you see if the dorsal fin is opposite or slightly behind the anal fin? On Farlowella it is the latter, unlike all other loricariids. There are 26 named species in Farlowella in Fishbase, and many ichthyologists believe there are more than 30 in South America. Those imported for the hobby are not usually clearly identified, so depending where they came from, one can get any one of many different species.

I went back and found that I when I was just pulling fish names and google searching them I missed where it said NO beckfordi. So what would be a good mix, without maxing out the tank capacity? I really want to keep the stock minimum to try and avoid poor water conditions. I do 50% WC on my 30B weekly because I use the E.I. dosing and my tank might be to FULL. Will that be enough for this tank as well?

I do weekly water changes of half the tank. Provided the parameters between tap and tank are close, this is fine.

Suggesting numbers is not easy until I know the species. Many fail to understand that numbers alone are not the important issue in stocking a tank. For example, all else being equal, the larger the number of fish of a given species (thinking shoaling fish here, and up to a point), the less of an impact on the tank's biology. Providing what the fish need reduces stress, and that impacts considerably on the tank's water quality. Having live plants makes a difference. And so forth.

Last on the clown loaches, I would find them a new home soon. Fish grow and develop continually all their lives, more than many other animals, and being denied a group is having an effect on the fish's immune system and internal physiological development. It is quite realistic to assume that one or both of these fish may have difficulties in later life as a direct result of their present situation. I don't mean to sound like I'm chastising you, but it is now known that the surroundings in which a fish lives has a real bearing on their development physically and mentally, and this is not reversible once it occurs.

Byron.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Be super careful with that muriatic acid... do not open it in the house, and make sure you have the proper gloves and a respirator is not out of the question... You're probably going with one or two drops, so its not required, but muriatic acid is some severe stuff- I used gallons of it to resurface my in ground pool, so obviously I was dealing with large quantities- but its scary stuff.

I like the first picture best, assuming you are going to edge them slightly to center to plant tall grass behind them. Ditch the grey stones. You're gonna hate how they stand out... hit a local landscape stone supplier and look for river rock in the proper color to match your larger pieces. Its dirt cheap- they'll look at you like you're nuts when you say you want to dig through their pile for a bucket full of rocks- but most will take 10 bucks to let you fill a 2 gallon bucket.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
For what its worth- dont worry about manzanita- the "poison fungus" is myth, IME. Ive never seen an experienced planted tank keeper claim any inkling of it, and I've never seen claims of a case that didn't have 10 other potential causes of fish death- or really just 3 - new tank, new fish, new hobbyist. I use it all the time and have 6-11 tanks running at any given time. I throw it in willie nilly, along with half a dozen endemic species like oak and rhododendron, and while most pieces will develop fungus, I've never had an unexplained die off.

I guess its possible.. but mopani is a completely different look and I dont know why people would believe that if an entire industry is built around harvesting and shipping manzanita for bird cages and display stands and fish tanks- but maybe some pieces harbor a deadly fungus, that mopani wouldn't have the same potential, especially since most mopani is used almost solely in our industry, ie Fish suppliers where its more likely the pieces would be kept in close quarters with tanks of tanks full of un-quarantined fish of questionable health with disease from all over the world. I know Mazanita burlworks for example provides manzanita for tanks, bird cages and display stands and they have a great reputation. Ive used them and for a dozen years or more I've never had a problem.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Turbo,

I am very careful. I read the label and had a co worker warn me based on his pool experience too.

As for the wood, I have never heard about the fungus among us. I will have to do some reading and try to verify it either way. I would hate to loss my fish after so much work to create a good home for them.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store