30 gallon cube stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
I have to say, I haven't even had these kribs for a full day yet but I'm really liking them. They're the first fish I've had that ate the same day I brought them home. I was feeding everyone else some bloodworms and the kribs joined in like they were old pals.

I'll definitely be keeping them, whether they can stay in the cube or not.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i think a pair of kribs would be fine in a 30 cube if you stock lightly on the other fish.

kribs can get ornery when spawning, so other bottom feeder type fish should be at a minimum.

i'd say the krib pair, a bristlenose pleco, and a half dozen black ruby barbs. that'd make a nice tank.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
i think a pair of kribs would be fine in a 30 cube if you stock lightly on the other fish.

kribs can get ornery when spawning, so other bottom feeder type fish should be at a minimum.
Great! Good thinking on the bottom dwellers... I guess I'll hold off on the dwarf chain loaches I've been eyeing.

i'd say the krib pair, a bristlenose pleco, and a half dozen black ruby barbs. that'd make a nice tank.
Hadn't thought about black ruby barbs, but they are pretty! I'm still really thinking about dwarf neon rainbows... Has anyone kept them with kribs?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i will be transferring my 6 australian rainbows (aka dwarf neon rainbow) into a tank that has a krib in it in a couple/few more weeks (finishing qt). the krib (female) is currently in with 2 boesemani and 1 turquoise rainbow with no issues at all. not sure how a breeding pair of kribs would interact with rainbows though, sorry.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Also, what about the peacock gudgeons? I still really want a couple of them. Do you think they'll be okay? Maybe the Peacock Gudgeon Guy can help me out here. ;)

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Okay, I still really want a pair of peacock gudgeons, and a small colony of red cherry shrimp. I've decided the only logical solution is to set up my spare 10g just for them. :)

As for the cube, I've ordered a bunch of neon dwarf rainbows and will pick out 4-6 to come home with me!

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
I've been researching live plants more, as I really want to keep this tank well planted, and decided a change in substrate was in order. So I replaced the regular-sized natural gravel with a smaller sized gravel, kind of halfway between gravel and sand (called "Texas Grit").

0129110012b.jpg

It's amazing how much gravel can change the look of your aquarium! I've also added 4 Amazon swords in the back there, and scattered what's left of my java ferns. The swords were on sale so I figured I'd give them a go, hopefully they do well. I hope to add some crypts and/or anubias in the future.

Tomorrow I'll be swapping out the 4 platies and 3 cherry barbs for 4-5 dwarf neon rainbows. I want them to add some height to the aquarium and from what I've read they seem to fit the bill, but I've noticed the ones at the store are rarely at the top. Hopefully they change their minds. :)

Will have to post another picture when I get the DNR's. Hopefully by then I'll have found my camera and can post a better picture.

0129110012b.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store