30 gallon cube stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
I like those, too. I leave the water down just below the rim, so I can watch them.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Do they really stay THAT close to the surface? I have the spray bar of my filter positioned at top of the back side, facing the back so that is sprays almost directly into the back and is then pushed down the glass. It seems to keep the current the lowest, but it also still agitates the surface some. The mild current won't bother them, will it?

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
If the current is to rough for them, they will stay away. I have a magnum 250 on mine, I direct the outflow to one side and they stay on the other. They are pretty tough. They would stay up towards the front glass on yours and that is where you want them:) I have a 60 gal cube.

Last edited:

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
I think the current should be okay then. I can twist the spray bar around more if I need to.

So as it stands, here's what I'm thinking:

TOP: 4-5 marble hatchets

MIDDLE: 2 peacock gudgeons, small school harlequin rasboras or possibly white clouds

BOTTOM: 4-5 panda cories

Somebody recently posted about white clouds, and it made me want some! However, I don't know how well they'd handle warmer temperatures, and I plan to keep the tank at 78 degrees.

I'm also looking into a pair of dwarf cichlids as well. I've had GBRs and loved them, but I worry about the fact that they like warmer water. So, I'm thinking about some apistos... specifically apistogramma borellii, cacatuoides, or ruby clown. From what I'm gathering, ruby clowns are actually Bolivian rams.

Decisions, decisions!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Somebody recently posted about white clouds, and it made me want some! However, I don't know how well they'd handle warmer temperatures, and I plan to keep the tank at 78 degrees.

I'm also looking into a pair of dwarf cichlids as well. I've had GBRs and loved them, but I worry about the fact that they like warmer water. So, I'm thinking about some apistos... specifically apistogramma borellii, cacatuoides, or ruby clown. From what I'm gathering, ruby clowns are actually Bolivian rams.

Decisions, decisions!
78 degrees is what I'm keeping my gbr's at, it is really not to cold for them. Apistos are really nice fish also if your really that worried about it. Also Bolivians would thrive in 78 degree water.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Update: I'm still working on stocking, but for the sake of money, I've been taking it slowly, lol.

I was going to get some harlequin rasboras, but once I took another look at them I realized they're actually rasbora espei, and not true heteromorphas. Does this matter? I actually like the slightly different coloring/markings of the espei's, but I'm reading that they don't get as big. Thoughts?

I'll be checking out some white clouds too, although since they're technically labeled "feeders" I'm sure they'll be really tiny. My only concern is that they prefer cooler waters. If they can handle 78 degrees, I might try a few.

I also ordered some Bolivian rams... Can't wait to see them when they come in!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
good choice on the rams. As for the white clouds i have no clue... when i had some i kept them at about 72 degrees.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Got two Bolivian rams tonight. They're a little bigger than I expected, which is a plus. I will try to post pictures tomorrow... Currently they're not looking so hot. Hopefully they'll snap out of it.

I was also going to get some espei rasboras, but they were a little smaller than expected. So, bigger rams/smaller rasboras... I didn't want to take any chances. I'll try for some actual harlequins next and see if they're any bigger. They're what I'd intended to order in the first place anyway.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Geez, these two Bolivian rams sure are shy! I really wanted to post a picture of them, but I can't get one! I've never had such a hard time getting fish to come out of their shells. It's been 4 days and while they no longer look miserable like they did on Thursday, they still run for cover the second I approach the tank. At present, they're the only fish in the tank. I'll be bringing home some panda cory cats and a school of something (harlequin rasboras or maybe rummynose tetras), and hopefully that will help them feel a little less vulnerable.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
If you do not want danios for the top, how about some brass tetras. My Brass tetras stay at the top.
Wow, Tanker, I didn't realize how pretty these fish were! Got some in today and they are really eye-catching! I think I might have to take some home. I'd planned on a school of neon or cardinal tetras, but I'm starting to think I like these better!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store