55g FOWLR Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BMorgan

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
Northern California
Well I would reccommend getting your SG right before doing anything else, just so that it's one less thing to worry about. I'm sure you could put it in now though, the tank will start cycling.

bethkira2000

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maine
Okay, if I add the shrimp later tonight and get the peice of live rock tomorrow, or the next day will anything on it still be okay, or will it die?

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
How much LR are you gonna put in? When you say a piece do you mean just that? If so thats not gonna be nearly enough to support a 55 gallon tank. You will need atleast 20lbs of it but more is suggested. Drs Foster and Smith has great LR for pretty good prices. I got 16lbs for $95 shipped.

BMorgan

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
Northern California
Well if you are addling LR to an uncycled tank you can expect that some die off will happen. Any die will just aid the cycling process though so it shouldn't be an issue. You should get your SG correct before you put the live rock in though.

BMorgan

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
Northern California
How much LR are you gonna put in? When you say a piece do you mean just that? If so thats not gonna be nearly enough to support a 55 gallon tank. You will need atleast 20lbs of it but more is suggested. Drs Foster and Smith has great LR for pretty good prices. I got 16lbs for $95 shipped.
Agreed. Since your tank is 55gal you want to shoot for about 1-1/2lbs to 2lbs of LR per gallon water. This depends on what type of live rock you are using and how porous it is also. Obviously you can substitute some of the LR for some base rock like you have but you will want to get more than just one piece.

You also need enough overall rock in the tank to give enough surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow to support your tank.

bethkira2000

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maine
Yes I know I have about 40-50lbs base rock right now, BUt I want to start the tank cycling first. SO I thought get the shrimp and a peice of llive rock to start with then when things are normal, go ahead and slowly start adding in more live rock. I also have live sand right now too.

bethkira2000

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maine
Okay now my reading is perfec, I have 1.022, what would happen if I went over the projected mark? how would I get it back down water changes?

BMorgan

AC Members
Jul 17, 2007
Northern California
Well I really wouldn't worry about being higher. Typically, most people around here like a SG of 1.023-1.025. I prefer mine at 1.025 and it doesn't bother me if it's 1.026. If you feel that it's too high then you could lower it by removing some water and adding un salted water, however I'm sure most would agree with me that it's better to have your SG too high than too low.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store