algae gel food mix reviews & discussion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
approximately how long should we let it set before it's "tank ready"? i wasn't sure, so i made up a tiny amount of it (1/4 tsp of powder) as soon as i got my sample, and it started breaking up a little as it sank. which i take to mean it needed to sit longer before i used it >.>

on the other hand, though, the rasboras were quite happy that it broke up on the way down... they were gobbling up the little pieces as they broke off lol... i haven't gone up to see if the snails have found it yet, but i imagine that they and the khulis are probably as happy as the harlequins were.... ^_^

conbrio

AC Members
Nov 5, 2004
Mid TN
Any knocks on the door yet by the people in blue wondering what that powder substance is? :grinyes:

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
approximately how long should we let it set before it's "tank ready"?
That depends on how much you heat up, whether or not you leave it in the (presumably hot) container that you used to heat it, and what the ambient temperature is. It's really just a matter of letting it cool all the way through. I usually pour it off, then go do a water change or something, and by the time I remember to go back (10 minutes? maybe 15?) it's ready. You can also stick it in the freezer for a few minutes to speed things along. If it's fully cooled (and you didn't add a lot of other ingredients), you shouldn't see it break up at all.

Any knocks on the door yet by the people in blue wondering what that powder substance is? :grinyes:
Shhhh! Don't tell them where I am! ;)

thought i would share my fish 'bowl' picture with you..
Thanks for sharing, pongo! :)

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
ha ha ha that's awesome..... that's brilliant, too.... think i might pour my next batch into a cleaned/de-lined eggshell and just drop the whole kit & kaboodle in..... calcium double-whammy lol

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
so i gave them the rest of the first batch last night, and it didn't dissolve quite as quickly as the first half i put in. it was still there this morning, though i could barely see it cuz it was literally buried under a gigantic snail pile lmao

i think it's safe to say they liked it >.>

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
it was still there this morning, though i could barely see it cuz it was literally buried under a gigantic snail pile lmao

i think it's safe to say they liked it >.>
The pond snails in my tanks do that too! And the endlers swarm. I was worried at first that the otos wouldn't be able to get at it, but they seem to have no trouble shouldering everyone else out of the way. They just charge right in. :p:

I got mine in the mail yesterday and will make it up today! Pictures to document it as well.
Fantastic! Can't wait!

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
It is cooling in a pickle jar lid as we speak in my fridge. I must say it is very easy to work with and dissolves a lot better than gelatin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store