algae gel food mix reviews & discussion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
ahhhhh... i'll make up a new batch tomorrow and see if letting it rest a minute before popping it in the nuker makes a difference =)

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Well I got my mix in the mail today. Yay. I will mix and let the fishies have at it on my next day off (Thurs) and report back.
I can't wait to hear what you think!

I am surprised the mix actually made it to me. The envelope was open and the mix was trying to fall out. But it is here and all is well.
Oh no! I'm glad it made it through!

If anyone's sample doesn't make it, let me know and I'll send another. No fibbing, though... ;)

I got my mix yesterday and it smelled so good I just left it sitting on my coffee table.
Okay, that is officially weird. I certainly wouldn't say it smells bad, but I wouldn't use it as potpourri either! :p:

I am going to make some tonight. I'll let you know what the fishies think.
Looking forward to it! :)

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
If anyone's sample doesn't make it, let me know and I'll send another. No fibbing, though... ;)
gosh, why on earth would you think anyone would fib about a thing like that? :Angel:

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
I'm glad that's sorted. I was getting worried that I had messed up your mix somehow!

Fantastic! I will certainly look into astaxanthin. It seems very expensive, though. Do you have an idea of what concentration would be necessary?
I found it on a website in a very concentrated form so you prob wouldn't need that much in it. I'll look for the link today for ya

Kerry121774

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
RI
Very excited I received my envelope on Monday! My envelope was also open so I wonder if the postoffice thought we were up to funny business ;) Anyway.......I made my first batch last night and I have decided that I will paint the next batch onto a piece of slate.
Tank one: The snails (MTS, Ramshorns & Briggs) loved it so much they all crowded the snapple cap so no fish could get to it! It did however lure out more shrimp than I thought I had!!!!! The Pleco & the Albino CAE were unable to get to the cap... because the briggs were stuck on top of each other trying to get it!! - which is why I'm going to try painting it on the slate

Tank 2: Flag fish found a happy home however I have Japonca Shrimp and MTS in this tank and they LOVED IT!! Not enough MTS to over crowd the cap so it worked out well.

I will be making more for tank three which has the cory, briggs and MTS's.

The gel works perfect in that it did not cloud the water even though I kept it in there over night! I was also excited to see that it stayed in the cap that I poured it in. I wasn't sure how that was going to work out <-NEWBIE and all!

I will write more once I try the painting idea because I am very excited to see how that works.

Thank you very much for the sample I will definately be buying some but I first wanted to see how the painting idea works. It'll help me decide if I want with or w/o calcium.

Last edited:

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
this is the page http://www.jehmco.com/html/powders__spirulina___plankton.html
It says their astaxanthin powder is extremely concentrated, so probably something like 2 or 3 parts per 1 of agar not sure
EDIT:
Here is an idea for a starting point, using mix #2
1 part agar
2 parts spirulina
3 parts astaxanthin
3 parts spinach
4 parts calcium citrate
Good info... gonna think out loud here...

It says to use ~1 tsp per pound of food. Assuming that this would apply to prepared food, not dry weight... The prepared gel sinks, so we know it's denser than water, but probably not an awful lot denser. 2 cups of water is a little less than a pound, so we'll just assume that 2 cups = 1 lb is close enough for jazz.

Since you need about 0.5 cups of mix to make 2 cups of food, that means 1 tsp astaxanthin per 0.5 cups mix (or 2 tsp per full cup).

If I assume that I would get about 8 tsp per ounce (which is what I get with the agar), then it would cost $1-$2 per 2tsp portion, depending on how much I buy at once.

Even if I subtract that volume from the spirulina (one of the more expensive current ingredients), 2 tsp of spirulina is only about $0.20, which means that a version with astaxanthin would pretty much have to cost $0.80-$1.80 more per cup.

So the real question is, would you still be interested at that price?

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Good info... gonna think out loud here...

It says to use ~1 tsp per pound of food. Assuming that this would apply to prepared food, not dry weight... The prepared gel sinks, so we know it's denser than water, but probably not an awful lot denser. 2 cups of water is a little less than a pound, so we'll just assume that 2 cups = 1 lb is close enough for jazz.

Since you need about 0.5 cups of mix to make 2 cups of food, that means 1 tsp astaxanthin per 0.5 cups mix (or 2 tsp per full cup).

If I assume that I would get about 8 tsp per ounce (which is what I get with the agar), then it would cost $1-$2 per 2tsp portion, depending on how much I buy at once.

Even if I subtract that volume from the spirulina (one of the more expensive current ingredients), 2 tsp of spirulina is only about $0.20, which means that a version with astaxanthin would pretty much have to cost $0.80-$1.80 more per cup.

So the real question is, would you still be interested at that price?
I think i would, perhaps i might just buy the powder myself and mix it in. If anyone else is interested I will buy

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I think i would, perhaps i might just buy the powder myself and mix it in. If anyone else is interested I will buy
Okiedokie. I'm working on a survey to find out what ingredients people are interested in. I'll do an initial one to get a sense of general interest, and then I'll do a second one with specific formulations and approximate prices. I'll be sure to include astaxanthin in the surveys. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store