algae gel food mix reviews & discussion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Arrival in SC!
Yay! :)

Now it's my turn for excited anticipation... waiting for the feedback to roll in. :p:

I'm really looking forward to hearing what people think, getting suggestions for improvement, finding out if there is enough interest to continue selling the stuff... can't wait!

I only have a cup or two left available for sale, but I've been holding off on buying more supplies until I have a sense of how much (if any) interest there is. So exciting!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Just arrived in the mail cello, will mix it up after work (late) tonight and give it a go tomorrow.

I'll give everybody a taste but may resever the bulk for the endler fry. They are barely a week old and, about the size of eyelashes. while they seem healthy enough* nibbling naturally off plants, they appear to have difficulty with any of the standard foods I have: flake, freezedried brine shrimp and fd bloodworms.

When it comes time to buy though I'll probably get the No. 2, with the calcium. My mineral content is bizarrely low for well water and I would like to nudge it up, particularly with calcium, for the shrimp & endler & alleged bumblebee catfish tank.

*except for a couple who fell victim to a boneheaded experiment on my part re: Happy Living Together With Angelfish. Very small angelfish mind you, who have shown no aggression of any sort to tankmates including small tetras. But which turned out to be very speedy angelfish untutored in the principles of nonviolence or peaceful coexistence. RIP.

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
any recommendations on how to mix this all up? Ive been boiling water in a large pot, then moving it to the container im mixing the substance in. It just doesnt seem to be setting properly for me? Also, how long will it take to set usually?

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
any recommendations on how to mix this all up? Ive been boiling water in a large pot, then moving it to the container im mixing the substance in. It just doesnt seem to be setting properly for me? Also, how long will it take to set usually?
Hmm... I've never had a problem with it setting up. Here's the process I usually use, in excruciating detail:

1. Grab a container for boiling---usually a mason jar or heavy glass.
  2. Scoop out the amount of mix I want to prepare and dump it in the container.
  3. Measure and add the water (4x mix volume). I usually use warm water, but I'm not sure if that matters.
  4. Stir vigorously and check for clumps. Let it sit for 30 seconds or so while I set out my slates or lids. <<< This may be the part that I didn't explain very well in the instructions.
  5. Place in microwave and heat on full power.
  6. WATCH THE MIX every second while it is heating, because it can boil over quickly
  7. Let it boil for 10 seconds or so---less for tiny amounts, more for larger amounts. If it bubbles up too quickly, this may have to happen in short burst. Keep an eye on it and pause the microwave when necessary.
  8. Pull out the jar (with pot holders!) and quickly pour it onto the waiting slates and lids.
  9. Rinse out the jar.
  10. Go do something else with the intention of coming back in a few minutes.
  11. Forget what I was doing.
  12. Remember the gel sometime later (usually 10 or 15 minutes). Go poke it. It's usually set by now and feels "rubbery," but if it's soft I may stick it in the freezer for a few minutes.
  13. Pace around the kitchen. Open the freezer several times to see if it's cool yet.
  14. When it's cool, dump it in the tank and watch the fishies. :)

EDIT: It may also be helpful to shake up the container of mix before you scoop any out, in case the ingredients have settled and you aren't getting enough agar or something.

conbrio

AC Members
Nov 5, 2004
Mid TN
Well I got my mix in the mail today. Yay. I will mix and let the fishies have at it on my next day off (Thurs) and report back. I am surprised the mix actually made it to me. The envelope was open and the mix was trying to fall out. But it is here and all is well.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I got my mix yesterday and it smelled so good I just left it sitting on my coffee table. I am going to make some tonight. I'll let you know what the fishies think.

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Hmm... I've never had a problem with it setting up. Here's the process I usually use, in excruciating detail:

1. Grab a container for boiling---usually a mason jar or heavy glass.
  2. Scoop out the amount of mix I want to prepare and dump it in the container.
  3. Measure and add the water (4x mix volume). I usually use warm water, but I'm not sure if that matters.
  4. Stir vigorously and check for clumps. Let it sit for 30 seconds or so while I set out my slates or lids. <<< This may be the part that I didn't explain very well in the instructions.
  5. Place in microwave and heat on full power.
  6. WATCH THE MIX every second while it is heating, because it can boil over quickly
  7. Let it boil for 10 seconds or so---less for tiny amounts, more for larger amounts. If it bubbles up too quickly, this may have to happen in short burst. Keep an eye on it and pause the microwave when necessary.
  8. Pull out the jar (with pot holders!) and quickly pour it onto the waiting slates and lids.
  9. Rinse out the jar.
  10. Go do something else with the intention of coming back in a few minutes.
  11. Forget what I was doing.
  12. Remember the gel sometime later (usually 10 or 15 minutes). Go poke it. It's usually set by now and feels "rubbery," but if it's soft I may stick it in the freezer for a few minutes.
  13. Pace around the kitchen. Open the freezer several times to see if it's cool yet.
  14. When it's cool, dump it in the tank and watch the fishies. :)

EDIT: It may also be helpful to shake up the container of mix before you scoop any out, in case the ingredients have settled and you aren't getting enough agar or something.

Thanks! This fixed everything...i can sometimes be a little thick in the head when it comes to direction reading....i have two more lids that came out perfectly will document their feeding on them for ya. If they liked the crumbly messed up food i made for them earlier i am sure they will go nuts over this

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Good news! Everyone loves it ill upload the pictures tomorrow! Youve got me sold, now you just gotta start making some with ASTAXANTHIN

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Thanks! This fixed everything
I'm glad that's sorted. I was getting worried that I had messed up your mix somehow!

Good news! Everyone loves it ill upload the pictures tomorrow! Youve got me sold, now you just gotta start making some with ASTAXANTHIN
Fantastic! I will certainly look into astaxanthin. It seems very expensive, though. Do you have an idea of what concentration would be necessary?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store