Any other snake lovers??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Just a note in case someone is thinking of getting a bearded dragon . . .

Unless you are prepared for a possible heartbreak, don't get more than one and DEFINITELY do not get any that are different sizes.

We bought our daughter's dragon at a local pet shop. S/he was really small, like most are at pet shops, but a sweet little thing. She just loved it to death. Little guy started worming its way into my heart, too. My husband always liked lizards and while we were at the reptile show in MD, he decided to get one too.

Unfortunately the one he bought (citrus/tangerine female) was much larger than our other one.

We had them in a 65g dragon cage for about a month and they were getting along fine. Without going into great detail -- because it hurts and bothers me a lot -- that the big dragon killed the little one. One bite to the head. That's all it took.

Unfortunately both my daughter and I witnessed the entire assault and subsequent death with no way to react in time to save little Syra.

Lesson learned. When it's not your pet sometimes you don't realize how much you care for it until it's gone.

Sigh.
Roan

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Roan Art said:
Just a note in case someone is thinking of getting a bearded dragon . . .

Unless you are prepared for a possible heartbreak, don't get more than one and DEFINITELY do not get any that are different sizes.

We bought our daughter's dragon at a local pet shop. S/he was really small, like most are at pet shops, but a sweet little thing. She just loved it to death. Little guy started worming its way into my heart, too. My husband always liked lizards and while we were at the reptile show in MD, he decided to get one too.

Unfortunately the one he bought (citrus/tangerine female) was much larger than our other one.

We had them in a 65g dragon cage for about a month and they were getting along fine. Without going into great detail -- because it hurts and bothers me a lot -- that the big dragon killed the little one. One bite to the head. That's all it took.

Unfortunately both my daughter and I witnessed the entire assault and subsequent death with no way to react in time to save little Syra.

Lesson learned. When it's not your pet sometimes you don't realize how much you care for it until it's gone.

Sigh.
Roan
Oh Roan that is so sad. The kids and I have been considering a bearded dragon now for a while. I have been told that they can be very aggressive when they get larger and that gives me cause for pause. I think they are such awesome lizards.

This spring our neighbor found an injured lizard and called me to check it out. While trying to catch it he pulled it's tail off :mad2: . Turns out it was a female Western Blue Tailed Skink and I carried her home and put her in a reptile tank until she could heal. We all really loved caring for Lucy and thankfully she recovered from her injuries fabulously and the kids and I released her back into our flower bed. It was a good lesson for the kids as well about "wild" animals remaining wild. So now we are trying to figure out just what lizard would be best for our family. We have also checked out some really awesome chamilions that our LPS breeds. I know they would require a different habitat than the bearded dragon but the habitats themselves are beautiful.

Can anyone reccomend a "first lizard" for our family? We don't want something that would get too large and would enjoy something that would be easily handled yet not be overly hard to feed or care for.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
mykidsmylife said:
Can anyone reccomend a "first lizard" for our family? We don't want something that would get too large and would enjoy something that would be easily handled yet not be overly hard to feed or care for.
Well a good first lizard is always the leopard gecko, even though they do not like to be handled to much, can get stressed.
Are you looking for something that you would like to hold all the time? or every blue moon?
I would probably go with a Leo, they are pretty friendly and pop up to be feed.
I have one male that every time I open up the cage door he pops his head out his hide hole and begs for food. I have gotten him to the point of taking meal worms and waxies from my fingers. But I have to be careful cause he will grab my finger thinking its a worm. :)
I would look for a good reptile shop in your area instead of petco or petsmart. You may get a better lizard from a local shop than a box shop. Or see if you can find some local breeders in your area and I recommend the normal phase, they are pretty lizards but cheaper than the fancy colors.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
tricksterpup said:
Well a good first lizard is always the leopard gecko, even though they do not like to be handled to much, can get stressed.
Are you looking for something that you would like to hold all the time? or every blue moon?
I would probably go with a Leo, they are pretty friendly and pop up to be feed.
I have one male that every time I open up the cage door he pops his head out his hide hole and begs for food. I have gotten him to the point of taking meal worms and waxies from my fingers. But I have to be careful cause he will grab my finger thinking its a worm. :)
I would look for a good reptile shop in your area instead of petco or petsmart. You may get a better lizard from a local shop than a box shop. Or see if you can find some local breeders in your area and I recommend the normal phase, they are pretty lizards but cheaper than the fancy colors.
Thanks Trickster. They are adorable I have seen them before. I rarely shop at "chain stores" and there is a good small LPS the specializes in reptiles not too far from us. I will definately do some more research and consider them.

No...daily handling isn't really a must. My 6 year old daughter LOVES snakes, lizards, frogs etc and has been begging for a lizard. I think they are fascinating creatures. It isn't something we are going to rush into and will make sure we make a very educated purchase. Her dream would be a snake. I think snakes are beautiful, I'm not afraid of them, yet I don't think I would like one living in my house. LOL. Plus I don't want to worry that if the critter gets loose that it would try to snack on my 2 parrots (one is only 4 inches big).
Thanks again! :thm:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
mykidsmylife said:
Oh Roan that is so sad. The kids and I have been considering a bearded dragon now for a while. I have been told that they can be very aggressive when they get larger and that gives me cause for pause. I think they are such awesome lizards.
Oh, they ARE awesome! They are not aggressive to people and actually seem to like them. Both of the dragons were wonderful pets to have. If we had kept them separated, all would be well and Syra would be alive today. Hindsight is 20/20 :(

It's very rare that a beardie will bite a person. It's only to other beardies that you have to be careful about.

We took the big one to our LFS (also LPS) and they are trying to sell her for us. We just can't bear to have her in the house now and it has nothing to do with us being afraid she will bite us. She wouldn't.

Even after all that, I'd still recommend a beardie to anyone wanting a first-time lizard. But just ONE or keep them all separated. You *can* keep them together (but NOT male/male), but it doesn't always work and it's a heart break if it doesn't. Ask any LPS that sells beardies and they'll tell you about arms, legs, and tails bitten off and others killed.

They are wonderful pets. Very intelligent and VERY socialable with people. Just not very nice to their own kind at times.

Roan

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
Yep, Beardies are another good lizard to get for the kids. One that doesn't mind being held. I also hear Tegus are another one that likes to be held as well.

But if you want something that is pretty, small and easy to take care of that you do not feel the need to hold. I recommend also the Anole. They are nice little gems of the reptile world and very cheap and afordable as well, avg price $4-10 depending on location.

Last edited:

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
That looks like a little alligator in its face. Very cute. I have seen them at the pet stores. Are they also called "Grass Lizards" sometimes??

It will be after Christmas before we take the plunge into the lizard world but I can do a lot of planning and research in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post when we make the final adoption.

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
mykidsmylife said:
That looks like a little alligator in its face. Very cute. I have seen them at the pet stores. Are they also called "Grass Lizards" sometimes??

It will be after Christmas before we take the plunge into the lizard world but I can do a lot of planning and research in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post when we make the final adoption.
They are actually called Anoles or American Chamelon, cause they change colors from Brown to Green.
for their care, you can take a look at this link by Melissa Kaplan.
http://www.anapsid.org/anole.html
But also one of the best in beginner lizards and very cute. I want to setup a screen in cage for them and then place them outside during the very warm summer days and nights.

swreefer

AC Members
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Don't even get me started on Kraplan.

Her caresheets are NOT what you want to follow. She is a PETA activist who constantly tries to discourage reptile ownership.

Half the garbage she spews would end up killing your reptile.

Read her commentary. It is ALWAYS slanted to try and prevent people from owning reptiles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store