Benson?s 40 B Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Looks good and one of the better looking steel stands I have seen.

New tank = :).

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
I found these stands that I can use for the Par 38 lights when I get them. They are made by ZooMed. I have three of them and I will hang the bulbs from them.

IMAG0212.jpg
IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg IMAG0213.jpg IMAG0212.jpg

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Got my Dr. Tim's one and only in the stay cool packaging... much different than when I got it for my 20 long. The bottles were nice and cool this time. Waiting for the rocks from BRS. Should be here tomorrow.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Graham, how much of the sand should I transfer to the 40 from the 29 if I decide to just move the rock from there?
I didn't like the black much as it made the tank look smaller but the blue I have now is too light like Ace menetioned. If I were to do it again I would go with a darker blue.

With the reef saver, how about just adding it to the 40B with a chunk of LR from your 29 along with a couple ziplocs worth of your 29's sand and let the LR seed the reef saver verus "cycling" the tank? You could also seed/cycle the dry rock with a piece of the LR in a rubbermaid and move the 29 over using the rest of the rock. All you're doing is moving the same bioload to a larger body of water. Once the dry rock is seeded you can add it to the tank. Technically if the dry rock is clean you could do it all at once but I think making sure the rock is good and seeded would be best.

EDIT: Ace-would you mind taking a look at steelerfan's thread? He is having what appears to be a very prolonged bacteria bloom and I just don't have any answers for him. He went with straight dry rock and sand and a table shrimp, had a very abbreviated cycle and things went ok for a while. Then the bloom kicked in. No fish in the tank.

Benson - sorry to bring up another's build in your thread but I know you have been trying to help steeler too. Would like Ace to take a look if he has time.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you are moving everything in the 29 all at once (fish and other livestock) probably 1 to 2 quart sized ziplocs and try get as much of the surface sand as you can as opposed to the stuff on the bottom. If you are going to cycle the 40B without transferring livestock I would use just about all of it by siphoning out a bag worth at a time and adding it to the breeder with the dry rock. You could theoretically start doing that now and add a small piece of your LR. Siphoning works well and doesn't stir up a storm.

Are you thinking that you'll cycle the dry rock or just add it? If you choose the later I would be sure it is clean (like pressure washer clean :)).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store