Benson?s 40 B Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Not sure yet about what I am going to do. I will pressure wash it for sure.. Thanks for the tips on the sand. If my 20L was good to go that would help a lot because I would put the live stock in it and make sure the 40B was good to go. I will need to take down the 29 and move the 40B in it's place... I may just wait for the 20L to be cycled just in case...

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My 29G is bare bottom.. I have about 40lbs of old Caribsea sand that I rinsed really well, then cleaned out things like urchin spines, and spent 2 days baking the sand in the oven one cookie sheet worth at a time to dry it out. lol. Lot of work for a little sand. That is what I will be using on my 55G tank. IMO dead sand is great sand to start with.. there is no need for live sand but if you can get 1 cup out of a GOOD sand bed that will help. With that Dr. Tim's you have it should make your rock and sand into good live stuff in no time. Right now on my 75G I would call my deep sand bed a bad sand bed and I am slowly siphoning out sand with each water change to go from a 5" sand bed down to a 2" sand bed because right now the bottom 2" are all black, which is bad. I will reuse the sand I take out and put it in my 55G after I rinse it good and bake it. One of my many mistakes I have made in this hobby.... jumped on the deep sand bed bandwagon but I didn't make mine correctly and after a few years it went bad. I used sugar fine sand when I should have mixed a lot of courser types in with it.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Just got my reef saver dry rock from BRS... man... this rock is very nice. It is totally clean and doesn't have the smell that the fiiji dry had when I got it. I am rinsing it and soaking it in a tub to get the dust off of it. I think it will be good to go into the tank.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
It's 20 pounds but it looks like way more than that. With my current live rock and this dry rock it should be more than enough for the tank. I will also have live sand from the 29 tank to use as well...

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
glad to hear benson.

everything i have read about brs says that the pukani and fiji have the die off issues we are having but the reefsaver is clean so i think you will be good to go.

i just like the look of the fiji myself and hoping patience will pay off and we will get through the leaching/die off etc from fiji.

can't wait to see pics bud.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Yeah, I looked at the video again yesterday and they do say to cure the rock for three or four weeks! I'm glad I got the reef saver rock for the 40.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
So, I have got the 40B up and running. I have added 30 pounds of the Caribsea select sand, the new reefsaver rock and some of my old rock to the tank along with the Dr Tim's One and Only. I did put some of my old sand in as well. Also, more of my old rock in the sump. Did this on Saturday. I have done test the last three days and no spike at all. Fish seem to be happy and I love the tank size.

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store