Cichlids and barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ercnan

Bar's Open
Sep 8, 2005
Indiana
Tommy Gun said:
Well, once again, I an NOT the expert on this topic either, but I have some relatively recent experience with this subject. I just stocked my tank with 9 juvenille cichlids of a very aggressive nature, as I have been told a million times. There are 3 P. Kennyi and 6 M. auratus in the tank right now and I was having issues with bullying and just all around mean-ness.

But a couple of days ago I read a story in a magazine about using 'dither' fish or 'target' fish to help calm a cichlid tank down. Basically it amounts to adding other very fast fish (non-cichlid types) that are too big for a cichlid to eat into the tank. This is supposed to help keep the cichlids a little more busy and thus, pay less attention to chasing each other or the females.

So, I tried first with some clown loaches and this worked out great. The tank was almost instantly different as far as the fish's behavior goes. So, I added some of my largest platties to the tank and now it is almost as if they are all sharing the platties demeanor, making the tank nice and quiet.

Back to the point though....Some barbs are also used as dither/target fish. I know for sure tiger barbs are used, so you should be ahead of the game on that one. I wouldnt go as far as to say I think you should mix the fishes like you are asking, but I would think you could as long as the cichlids and barbs share the same needs as far as water types and tank conditions are concerned.
All I see here is someone saying they added clown loaches to a tank that also housed africans. I see nothing relating to the type of water in the tank.
Seems to me you just ASSUMED that african meant high PH with hard water, and posted your response accordingly.
As per my previous post, I have african rift lake, african riverine, south american, gouramis, and tetras all in the same tank. What would you assume the water parameters to be?
Your resonse is what got this discussion started, and you made it without knowing any information other than what was posted.

How can you respond to one post with no info., but not another ?
"Your pH seems OK. I could not tell you anything else because I do not know the size of your tank, the number of fish in it, how much you feed, or frequency of water changes."

Tommy Gun's post did not even include the PH.

I don't think you were/are being childishly attacked. I think you are simply being asked the question of how you could have made such a comment with no more info. than what was given.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
ercnan said:
How can you respond to one post with no info., but not another ?..Tommy Gun's post did not even include the PH...I don't think you were/are being childishly attacked. I think you are simply being asked the question of how you could have made such a comment with no more info. than what was given.
Once again...I made no mention about anyone's aquarium, their fish, or the pH level in their tank. I simply made a general statement that clown loaches and African chiclids do not have the same water requirements. You are the one who is making the asumptions about what I said and then ranting about what you assumed.

ercnan

Bar's Open
Sep 8, 2005
Indiana
Well I assume that the cichlids and loaches in Tommy Gun's tank DO apparently have the same requirements.
That being water and oxygen.
They appear to be thriving very well together, and according to the post, adding the loaches decreased the aggression of the cichlids, which was the whole point.
My tank had the same results but with different fish.
NOW I'm assuming, but most assuredly NOT "ranting"

If I would have posted that I have africans and gouramis in the same tank as severums and tetras, would you have went to the same extent to tell me, in so many words, that I was wrong (or selfish in your own words) for doing that?

Because to me, that reply from you sounded exactly like that.
If that is not how it was meant, then you should have either worded it differently, or elaborated more on your "general" statement.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
ercnan said:
Well I assume that the cichlids and loaches in Tommy Gun's tank DO apparently have the same requirements. That being water and oxygen.
If these are the only requirements to keep fish there sure are a lot of people wasting their time.

ercnan said:
They appear to be thriving very well together, and according to the post, adding the loaches decreased the aggression of the cichlids, which was the whole point.
Maybe...it depends on what you consider thriving.

ercnan said:
If I would have posted that I have africans and gouramis in the same tank as severums and tetras, would you have went to the same extent to tell me, in so many words, that I was wrong (or selfish in your own words) for doing that? Because to me, that reply from you sounded exactly like that. If that is not how it was meant, then you should have either worded it differently, or elaborated more on your "general" statement.
I might mention they would do better in different aquarium setups. I never directly called anyone selfish. I said that there are a lot of selfish people who keep fish in aquariums that are not well suited for them.

Last edited:

ercnan

Bar's Open
Sep 8, 2005
Indiana
Actually, no aquarium is really "well" suited for any fish to truely thrive, so I guess you are right, there are a whole lot of selfish people wasting not only their time, but also their money too huh ?

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
ercnan said:
Actually, no aquarium is really "well" suited for any fish to truely thrive, so I guess you are right, there are a whole lot of selfish people wasting not only their time, but also their money too huh ?
Maybe...However there have been many cases of fish that have thrived only in aquariums and have died off in their natural habitat. If our pursuit is to do the best we can for our fish and our goal is to learn as much as possible about them, then I do not consider the hobby a waste of time or money.

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
Holy schnitzel! I ask a question, go away for one day, and look what has evolved! There are definitely some very passionate fishkeepers around here which I am glad to see. Thanks for all of the comments and discussion.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
homer3d455840 said:
How about the size they grow to. Their lifespan. Tank size they should be kept in. The amount and frequency of water changes that should be done.
12" is the figure that sticks in my mind; I suspect they can get larger. Correction?
I don't recall a lifespan number, but I would think that they are fairly long-lived. I would guess five-ten years?
Tank size is going to vary based upon how many are there, naturally, and the length of time. 12" ones in captivity seem to be rare. A single (though you wouldn't want a single) could probably do well in a 36" tank for a good long time.
Water changes? I do 25% a week, which I'm sure is adequate for their needs, but more is probably better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store