Cichlids and barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
rmcder said:
12" is the figure that sticks in my mind; I suspect they can get larger. Correction?
I don't recall a lifespan number, but I would think that they are fairly long-lived. I would guess five-ten years?
Tank size is going to vary based upon how many are there, naturally, and the length of time. 12" ones in captivity seem to be rare. A single (though you wouldn't want a single) could probably do well in a 36" tank for a good long time.
Water changes? I do 25% a week, which I'm sure is adequate for their needs, but more is probably better.
rmcder thank you for taking this conversation in a more positive direction. :cool: 12" is average. When they well taken care of they can reach lengths of 14 to 18 inches in an aquarium and possibly live for over 50 years. You are right that this is rare, however this is due to lack of information and improper care. One theory for this is that clown loaches get stunted very easily. From what I have been told by other loach keepers once a clown reaches 4" it should be housed in 48"x12" aquarium. When it reaches 6" it will need to be housed in a minimum of a 48"x18" aquarium. At around 9 to 10" its final home should be in a 72"x24" or larger tank. Another theory for lack of growth in the clown loach is poor water conditions. It is believed that DOC can slow down their growth rate. This theory is held for all fish in general. But given clown loaches sensitivety to poor water and their already slow growth rate it seems rather important to give them the highest quality water. I have found that many of loach keepers who are having the best result do 50% changes once or twice a week. This is what I have been told by people who have had tremedous success with their clown loaches. My own clown loaches have grown from 2" to 6" in 13 months...They are soon to be housed in their new 90 gallon home with 4 new buddies who are currently in my quarentine tank.:dance: I hope one day to house them in a 400 gallon.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
homer3d455840 said:
I was just saying that clown loaches are not the best canidate to be kept with African cichlids.
It seems to be a problem on this board that when people see the word "cichlids" they think "African rift lake cichlids". Maybe we need a "chicklet police" to obsessively correct this! :idea:

... uum, do my angelfish need dolomite gravel and Malawi salt? Do my kribensis? The guy at the lfs said they're cichlids.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
coupedefleur said:
It seems to be a problem on this board that when people see the word "cichlids" they think "African rift lake cichlids". Maybe we need a "chicklet police" to obsessively correct this! :idea:

... uum, do my angelfish need dolomite gravel and Malawi salt? Do my kribensis? The guy at the lfs said they're cichlids.
If you took the time to read the post you would see I made reference to only a post that gave off the impression clown loaches and African cichlids shared similar water conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store