Cichlids in a 10 g with frogs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
Filter is under gravel filter system, and i dont have a heater. The room temp at my house is 73-80 degrees. and none of the fish i have so far can go higher. If i leave my fan on it can go to 60 but i dont do.
So 10gallon
Dwarf frog-2 1/2 g
dwarf frog-2 1/2g
plants- 1 g
so 4 gallons left.
I want a sort of natural but colorful tank like blue fish or yellow ones. not orange. If i do under gound filter system and i use gravel can i just get the vacum thing and place it over the tube that you put the air stone in and wont it just grab all the waste? is that what i should do or no?

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
the under gravel filter system? or how i put my fish in? i'll just do both.
I'm guessing one the undergravel filter system cause how do they get the poop and stuff out of the tank? and if they got a little tube or somthign were all the poop is it could suck that out and sum dirty water. But i was just guessing i dont know how the vacum thing works or the under gravel filter.

and for how i put my animals in it's cause people say dwarf frogs need at least 2 gallons so one gets two gallons and then the other one gets two gallons and then maybe i'll fill a gallon with plants

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Go get yourself a nice male Betta, very flashy and colorful, would be perfect for your 10 or 2g. If you divide the 10g, you could put 3-4 Bettas in there no problem. Or you could get a small shoal of some type of Tetra or Barb for the 10g.

Last edited:

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
Yeah but i have 2 afrian dwarf frogs that HAVE to go in the ten gallon tank cause the two gallon that they share is too small for them. I got ghost shrimp in the 2 gallon wiht them. So i'll probably put a betta in the two gallon one. What small fish could i put in the 10g? like a bright colored one. not dyed though.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
I don't forsee any problems between the Betta/s and Frogs.
Like I said you could put some Tetras or Barbs in the 10 instead of a Betta/s, you could put say five (5) Cardinal tetras, perhaps a pair of Cherry Barbs or 3-6 male Guppies (There are some very pretty varities)(no females).

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I think your tank (10g) is filled with 2 frogs, however Im not exactly sure.

The filter you are using is know to have problems. It also does not replacing gravel vacuming. All is really does is pull dirt down to the bottom of the tank. After a year or so them tend to get clogged and you have to rip down your whole tank just to clean a small part of it. Id go with a HOB filter as they are much eaiser and better for your fish. Keep in mind that you will need yo cycle your tank. For this you will need a test kit.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
I just researched your ADF's and I'd put the two'em alone in the 2g, and concentrate on a balanced mini-community in the 10g.

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
I thought they needed two gallons each? They can share? But well i dont get this whole way to make sure fish arent over croweded. can some one explain how to put fish in an aquarium based on there needs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store