Cichlids in a 10 g with frogs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Firstly, dont go just by what is 'reccommended' for a fish, because thats always the minimum. 2 gallons for a frog? Give them 10. Of course they can share the gallons, what do you think fish are going to stay to thier own 2 gallons in the tank? Dont go by the 1" of fish per gallon rule. That all depends on the size of the fish, your filtration, size of tank, amount of plants, etc. If anything plants will increase the amount of fish you can keep, and not decrease it.

This is what i would do for your 10 gallon. Skip the UGF (undergravel filter) those are a thing of the past, and i personally dont like them. Some people still use them, but a really good hang-on-back (HOB) filter would be much better. Get an AquaClear mini or 150 for a 10 gallon tank. Get a heater, a stable temperature is very important for these fish, and if its constantly fluctuating between 73 and 80 degrees then your bound to stress your fish. Get some gravel and plants for the tank (make sure to have a light on there), add some decorations whatever you like. Put in your 2 dwarf frogs and ghost shrimp and get a male betta (siamese fighting fish). They come in all sorts of colors, blue, green, red, etc. Very nice long fins as well. If you didnt want a male betta then skip him and put in 5 or so cardinal tetras. They are red and neon blue, very pretty.

Then put your goldfish in a tank over 30 gallons, which is what they NEED. Or, you can make an indoor or outdoor pond for them out of an old oak barrel.

I would then retire your 2 gallon tank since it is very small and you really shouldnt keep anything in it unless you want to do a 'nano tank' setup and preform almost daily water changes.

HTH
-Diana

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
10 Gallon Krib Tank

Inhabitants:
2 Kribensis
Little babies!
1 ramshorn snail

Plants:
Crypts
Java Fern
Java Moss

Would a pair of kribensis fit in my ten gallon tank with the frogs? Or would they pick on the frogs. Plus their would be at least 3 barbs for the kribensis to chase.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Oh yeah the kribs would most likely pick on the frogs. Really a 10 gallon is pretty small for kribs, and i was only succsesfull with it because i had LOTS of hiding places in there for them to escape each other. The male can be brutal with the female and vice versa.

I would continue to stock your tank around your frogs. Some tetras or a betta i think. Possibly a couple ottoclinis algae eaters and/or pygmy cories as well.

Do you have access to any killifish? Those would be awesome. I have a male australe in my 5 gallon and he is very pretty. http://www.aka.org

A 2 gallon is on the small side for a betta. People say they are ok because bettas are kept in jars much smaller, but IMO its just too small. They should have more space to swim around, because they do like to!

ps- i have since taken down my Krib tank and re-done it as a Lake Tangynika shelldweller tank with L. ocellatus. They are cool little cichlids too, but not community.

There are tons of options for your 10 gallon, and we can continue to spit ideas at you forever, but its really up to you what you like best.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You need a fish choice that won't compete with the frogs. Frogs tend to be slower eaters and quick nibbly fish will end up eating their food. So you also need a fish that won't eat off the bottom of a tank. Betta's are really the best choice here as they eat on the top of the water and not on the bottom. A single dwarf gouramis would fit but they like to eat things off the bottom. Possibly a few male guppies would also be a good choice. They stay small, eat off the top and are very colourful. Add some plants and they will do fine.

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
Wow Killifishes are pretty. I will have to research them to see what their needs are and if i can handle them. I need to find out what amonia is and nitrates and ph so if anyone can explain that to me or direct me to a site that explains it i would be very thankful.

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
i had one ph strip that we were using in school but i took one home to test my ph level and its at 6.0 is that good or bad for ADF's and ghost shrimp. how do i make it go up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store