Cichlids in a 10 g with frogs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You have to know what the pH of the change water is and its hardness. Chances are you can make it go up by doing a water change. Take some tank water and some tap water to the fish store. Most will test for free.

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
TKOS said:
You have to know what the pH of the change water is and its hardness. Chances are you can make it go up by doing a water change. Take some tank water and some tap water to the fish store. Most will test for free.
Yes water changes will most likely raise your ph to around 7 which is good for most all communtity fish. :smile: I do water changes once a week with a cheap-ee gravel vac I got at petsmart.
I second the vote for guppies or neon tetras for tankmates of ADF - (african dwarf frogs) as the frogs are small, peaceful and slow moving so even smaller cichlids or other types of nippy fish will definately think they are meant to pick on. Zebra danios are also neat looking and fun to watch in small schools. I kept my ADFs last summer with my cories and they did fine, the frogs will often perch with one toe on a corner of a leaf or atop some decor...hahahah so funny to watch. When I kept them with corydoras I fed mostly freeze dried tubifex worms to the froggies, breaking off a small corner of the dried cube of worm and sticking it against the glass, then watching and waiting to make sure the frogs get to the side of the tank and start nibbling....which they will do very quickly!!!!
Good Luck with your new ten gallon, sounds like fun!!!

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
But i changed their water water yesterday.....should i change it again? oh and my water is hard. i dont know the specific but i just know its hard.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
How often do you change thier water? How do you know the tank is uncycled?

Do you test water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Its highly advisable for you to invest in some test kits for your tank. Those tests as well as ph are very important. If you HAD to only get three, i would get ammonia, nitrate and ph tests. They are available at pretty much all pet stores and around $5 each i believe. :)

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
I think their ph is so low becuase the is basically NO tap wate rin their tank and somone said that i should not use distilled water but i use aquarium slat, and aquasafe.
"Note: it is not a good idea to use distilled water in your tank. By definition, distilled water has essentially no KH. That means that adding even a little bit of acid will change the pH significantly (stressing fish). Because of its instability, distilled (or any essentially pure water) is never used directly. Tap water or other salts must first be added to it in order to increase its GH and KH. " thats in this page i'm reading to educate my self. so adding some tap water would breing my ph and hardness up? I cant use to much aquarium salt becuase it's not good for the frogs.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I dont understand.... you change thier water but you dont add tap water? Do you use distilled water then? Distilled water doesnt have any minerals in it... and fish need them.

What do you mean by 'clean the tank'? You need to change water in a tank, if anything that is more important than scrubbing algae and siphoning the gravel.

You should have NO ammonia in your tank. Did you read that article on the nitrogen cycle that i gave you?

:confused:

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
yeah i'm reading it now. So i will be getting an under grouind filter. So i should change 25% of the water and then vaccum gravel? I use tap water but it has aqua safe in it. Also whats it mean when you tank stinks and when it smells good after at least a week after you chnaged the water? My tank never seems to stink and i was wondering if that was normal.

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
uh oh huston we have a porblem....my mom isnt really excited for a ten g tank. I just talked to her and she said no. But i'll convince her!! i will. i'll gather up some infor that might convince her and if she doeasnt get convied i'll use the whole "I rushed into fast and they need a biiger space to live in. It's my fault and i want to fix it. you wont be paying for anything (even though she will pay for food) I'll take care of it all. PLease why dont you let me do the right thing. I dont the frogs to turn out like the gold fish!!" if that doesnt work i'll have to get a 5 g

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store