Complete Tank Redesign Project - Lessons, Learnings and Ramblings of Coach_z

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mfield4

AC Members
Jul 11, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Mike
Besides the obvious benefits of having the water pass directly through the heater (extremely efficient heating) and not seeing a huge ugly heater in your tank, are there any other benefits to in-line heaters? I was searching a while back but never pulled the trigger on one... instead I got a visa-therm stealth for $20 shipped on eBay.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Besides the obvious benefits of having the water pass directly through the heater (extremely efficient heating) and not seeing a huge ugly heater in your tank, are there any other benefits to in-line heaters? I was searching a while back but never pulled the trigger on one... instead I got a visa-therm stealth for $20 shipped on eBay.
Those reasons you stated do apply. Other reasons are for super sensitive fish such as rays which can get burnt.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
A Little Status Update

Because this tank is starting over from scratch (except some equipment) the plants still have a lot of growing to do, I still have not bothered with a background, and I still cannot find my drop checker. But here are some updated pics of the tank:

Plant List:
3-4 amazon swords
Dwarf Sag
Crypts (type is unknown)
Moss (unknown type)
Spiral vals
Anubias
Tiger Lotus (it didnt like being shipped and the one leaf you can see is basically dead but i am seeing if it will make it)

(Ignore the dead amazon sword leaf on the left! lol)

Unfortunately the output of my canister was incorrectly faced and blowing most of the plants around on the right side of the tank...this has been remedied.

This anubias was trimmed back to a mere 4 leaves about a month ago, its going to be big.

Just looks like a bad place for the snail to be......

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Nice can't wait to see what this looks like when it's filled in.
Will look much different, especially because a lot of the plants currently in there are simply 'fillers' until i receive the rest of my plants.

-chris

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Received my new light fixture over the weekend.
Hagen GLO 24" T5HO Dual Bulb fixture with mounting brackets, hanger, and timer. Thank you Cichlid_Breeder!

The light will be about 20" above substrate level, centered in the middle of the tank. Unfortunately, I do not have any pics of it to show off.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you can't find your drop checker, you can drop the ph a full log with your co2. This will yield an increase of co2 in solution by a factor of ten. Assuming ambient co2 of 2.8 to 3 ppm will result in 28 to 30 ppm.

Mark

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
If you can't find your drop checker, you can drop the ph a full log with your co2. This will yield an increase of co2 in solution by a factor of ten. Assuming ambient co2 of 2.8 to 3 ppm will result in 28 to 30 ppm.

Mark
Hey thanks!
I did actually find it yesterday though so I am all good now!
I left it at my parents house when I was moving my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store