Complete Tank Redesign Project - Lessons, Learnings and Ramblings of Coach_z

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I'm not sure about couch but i had to personalize my EI because the dosing was too high so i had to tone it down a lot.
lots of co2 lots of ferts lots of plants proper amount of light.....never had to adjust my dosing.

If things start to vary you will need to start balancing your ferts and such.

mfield, are you still very lightly planted?
Rockhoer - i know you are not on co2 yet.

i summize that those two reasons are the reasons you both had to adjust your EI.

ps...its not every day that i get referred to as a couch...lol

mfield4

AC Members
Jul 11, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Mike
mfield, are you still very lightly planted?
I would consider my tank moderately planted at best. I have water sprite and penny wort opposite corners, with corkscrew, rotala m., crypts, and some type of sword in between. Everything was growing great just dosing Flourish until I added the rotala macrandra, which has barely rooted in 3 weeks :confused:
I want that to grow, so I started dosing liquid Fe and K. Still nothing.

I haven't purchased any dry ferts yet... I guess I will have to do that and dose based on EI with 50% changes?

Also, the GSA is still not controlled. I scraped it all off and did a pwc about a month ago, and it is back and covering the back glass.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
Rockhoer - i know you are not on co2 yet.
actually I am. I joined the world of pressurized CO2 about a week ago. So far so good...I'm getting a constant 1bps flow.

I thought i was heavily planted but my nitrates get too high when i dose the normal estimated amount. So i had to cut it down a lot.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
actually I am. I joined the world of pressurized CO2 about a week ago. So far so good...I'm getting a constant 1bps flow.
BTW (off topic) what did you do as far as a cylinder Rock?

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris

New Tank Setup
Tank: Standard 29 Gallon Black trim
Stand: Standard oak stand (Same from before)
Lighting: Coralife 2x 65W CFL running 2 6,700K bulbs (Same from before)
Filter: Marineland C-360
Ferts: EI (Same from before)
CO2: Pressurized - 10# bottle Building Own Regulator
Heater: NONE. Both have bit the bucket.
Substrate: 60 Lbs. Eco-Complete (Same from before)
Decorations: Pirate and Pirate ship theme (Same from before)

Heaters:
I am currently seeking new heaters. My aqueon died the other day. Laura (GF) kept waking me up in the night saying that my tank was making a weird clicking/popping noise. I thought it was the filter but it would stop every so often. 5 Nights of being woken up later I am staring at the tank and notice that the clicking happens when the heater is on. I stick my hand in, touch the heater, and feel the 'click' that I am hearing. This Aqueon is probably about a year old, my old hydor that is in there is about 10. They need to be replaced.

I am looking for a good inline heater for my c-360....let me know if you know of one. I don't want a heater in my tank anymore.​

Heaters

I have always hated shopping for heaters, it is simply a pain in the butt going out and purchasing something that will most likely shatter, break and/or boil your fish to death. My last heater bit the bucket so i am going for a replacement, I no longer wanted to mess around with hiding heaters in the tank, or waiting for the suction cups to fail so i got an inline heater.

After asking around on here, i decided to go with the Hydor ETH 200. It seems to get good reviews, people like its performance, and most importantly to me, it is not in the tank. kensfish.com got my order for it. I didn't even check to see if he was the cheapest/most expensive, he is a good guy and I needed a few other things from him.

Now I sit and wait for the mail.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I'm doing my usual lurking on this thread but wanted to add I love my inline Hydor as well. It took a little effort to make sure it didn't leak since I wasn't paying attention while tightening the nut I didn't realize it never got the hose sprayed everywhere....LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store