Couple convict questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I wonder if he can ship to Canada.... Well, at least you can get some ideas from his site.

Dean

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
Red Deer, Alberta
Visit site
Iam looking more for cichlids that get no bigger than 8" or so. I dont like the look of huge fish even if the aquarium is large, and no just cichlids, maybe a school of sd's. Any other ideas on a medium-large community fish tank with all the fish from sa/ca ?

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Do they need to be really aggressive? I'm setting up my 120 with Uaru, Severums, Chocolate Cichlids, Firemouths and maybe Festivums, along with Tiger Barbs and Clown Loaches.

I especially love the Uaru. They are so graceful. Here is a pic of a Chocolate, Uaru and a young Gold Severum in my 60 gallon tank -

The Chocolates and Uaru will eventually get a little over 8" (not much over). The Firemouths (great breeders), Severums, and Festivums will not.

Others you may want to look at are Brasiliensis, Blue Acara, Nicaraguense, Centrarchus (great breeders), Jurupari.... hmmm there are many others.... I'll need to think about it.

Last edited:

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Archocentrus sp, Thorichthys sp, Cryptoheros sp., Laetacara sp., some Geophagaus sp., and Gymnogeophagus get around 6 or 7".

Since you are in canada, you can order from Oliver, www.belowwater.com He has great stocks. Alot of his cichlids are wild caught. You just need to let him know what you are looking for...he will look those cichlids up for you (let him what size of fish you are looking for). Order from him is better than getting fish from LFS. I'm sure many people will not agree on mail order. Since I got my first few cichlids from Jeff Rapps, now I only got fish from him and a few other people. I hardly get anything from LFS.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i use giant danios successfully, tiger barbs also might work.

for scavengers, something like raphaels or pictus would be ok but might give you a little too much population control. i wouldn't try clown loaches personally.

algae control, some sort of pleco or maybe a farlowella.

good luck

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
What's wrong with Clown loaches? They are tough little guy. The only thing about clown loach is they grow very slow. Otherwise, having a school of clown loaches with cichlids are ok.

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Originally posted by peifc
What's wrong with Clown loaches? They are tough little guy. The only thing about clown loach is they grow very slow. Otherwise, having a school of clown loaches with cichlids are ok.
That's been my experience as well. They are such characters.... In about a year mine went from 2" to about 5".

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
If anyone wanna see how clown loaches fair...in a tankful of aggressive cichlids, should go to www.cichlidscene.com

Most loaches will do fine with big cichlids (possibly except for small loaches like yo-yo loach that can only live with dwarf cichlids).

All my tanks have loaches. Not once I've seen my cichlids going after the loaches. They all living in the same cave, logs, and every corner. The only problem with loaches is that they will clean out eggs and fry if you are planning to breed fish.

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Which loaches (other than Clowns) do you have? Which do you recommend with cichlids?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store