Couple convict questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
I have Botia berdmorei, Botia modesta, Botia Angeligus, Clown loach, and Botia rostrata.

B. Berdmorei is considered aggressive in Loach family. I have 2 right now living with my carpintis, GT, and JD. Their max size is between 6-7". When they chase each other...they make tsking sound. Pretty interesting to watch. They aren't shy either. I have seen them going after my Gourami, Giant Danios, and Bala shark. My pleco will not let them bully him. He bites them back. :D

B. modesta is living with the Berdmoreis. They get a long fine since both of them are almost equally aggressive.

Botia Angeligus and clown loaches are living with my severums and blue dempseys. Angeligus aren't a bit shy. They are out and swimming around even when the light is on. They get along very well with clown loach that is similar size. If the clown loach is too small, Angeligus will do harm to the little fella.

My 1.5" Botia rostratas are living in my grow out tank with other 1.5" small cichlids. They are peaceful and out going. Once they reach their 3 or 4" size, they are going into my dwarf cichlids tank.

As for what loaches that will go well with cichlids...most of them can. You just gotta know what to mix them with. If you have small aggressive cichlids, it is best using B. beauforti, berdmorei, hymenophysa, or other aggressive loaches. If you have big and aggressive cichlids, can try B. modesta. If you have big and semi-aggressive or peaceful cichlids, try clown loach. These 2 loaches get as big as 9-12". If you have small and peaceful cichlids, use yo-yo loache or any small and peaceful loaches.

Check out this site for loaches information.

www.loaches.com

Last edited:

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I'll have to see if I can find some of the Angelicus or the Modesta... They look very cool. I'm guessing expensive also. ;)

Thanks for the info!

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
Originally posted by peifc
What's wrong with Clown loaches? They are tough little guy. The only thing about clown loach is they grow very slow. Otherwise, having a school of clown loaches with cichlids are ok.
If you have small aggressive cichlids, it is best using B. beauforti, berdmorei, hymenophysa, or other aggressive loaches. If you have big and aggressive cichlids, can try B. modesta. If you have big and semi-aggressive or peaceful cichlids, try clown loach.
you're sort of contradicting yourself to say the least. the cichlids in question are small, fast and aggressive as h#ll. clown loaches are what i would consider to be peacefull fish. they are also very susceptable to things such as ich. so to put them in an environment where they would more than likely be harassed and very stressed out...... you do the math.

it just seems like you would be wasting some very pretty fish for nothing. :shake:

i have seen, mine and others convicts, do some serious damage to other fish and i just wouldn't recommend putting anything in the tank with them that is not fast or hardy.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Uhmm....did you bother to look at cichlidscene website?

Don't talk about convict...I'm sure you know what is Midas and red devil. In cichlidscene website...you can see them interacting with clown loaches. They all live together in a big tank. And not once I've heard from cichlidscene that his clown loaches are killed.

Not only cichlidscene keep clown loaches with those big aggressive cichlids. Other people do the same thing. Like I said...only problem with clown loach is they grow slow. Otherwise, they do great with cichlids like Archocentrus sp., Cryptoheros sp., Thorichthys, Amphilophus sp. or some others.

Not once I've seen my convict going after loaches. Not once I have seen my Carpintis going after my clown loaches. And I do have a very small clown loach. That little guy was never ever pick by cichlids, but by his own kind, clown loach and other loaches. I have to put my little clown loach with my severums to grow out before he gets killed by other big loaches.

Do you see that big cichlid right there? You can't miss that. That cichlid is aggressive. Loaches are living with him.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store