Couple convict questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Yes, they grow slow. And they are quite expensive for 3" clown loach. I've seen some that goes as high as $15 per fish.

My loach...well, took them half year to grow an inch or 2.

You can try to get them on www.aquabid.com

Get at least 5 or 6 of them will be good.

Dean

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
Red Deer, Alberta
Visit site
Where I live i can get them for around $9 cnd. for a 3". How big was the clown loaches aquarium. If i put 6 of them in a 135g will they grow faster? also in the videos the big ones look duller than the smaller ones, does this happen?

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
I've talked to a few other people in another forum. They told me that they have kept many clown loaches in their tanks with their aggressive cichlids.

I don't know how docile a full grown clown loach is. From what I've seen in cichlidscene website, big and small house with cichlid like Midas, red devil, N. Haitiensis, and others...I'll have to say the clown loaches can hold their own. If you look at one video that showed the clown loaches showing possibly breeding behavior...that a young midas was trying to break them up. And the big loach didn't even care.

Clown loaches grow slow no matter what tank. If you can get a bigger loach...great. If not..., then the cichlids have to be just as small.

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I have an Oscar that is almost 10 years old.... full-grown breeding Midas Cichlids, 12" synspillums, etc. Last year I added two 3" Clown Loaches to the tank. They are amost 6" now.

Don't worry about an Oscar outgrowing the Clown's.

BTW... I thought you hated big fish! Why are you looking at Oscars? Don't get me wrong... I love Oscars, they have more personality than any other cichlid. But, they will get bigger than 8" in a hurry.

Dean

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
Red Deer, Alberta
Visit site
I know, I just kinda like them because they're more like a pet thats why they call the water dogs. At the lfs they look more inteligent(sp.) than all the other fish. I just wish they would create a dwarf oscar that would max out at 6". It was just a thought, I change my mind very quickly.

Last edited:

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
If you want personality fish...should try out Parachromis Managuense, Midas, or Red Devil. Yes, they all get bigger than 8", but they have great personality. Carpintis also has great personality. Mine love to attack his own reflection.

If you still wanna stick with smaller cichlids...Meeki (firemouth) is great too. Any cichlid like Archocentrus, Cryptoheros, or Thorichthys sp are less than 8" and have personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store