Dave's 90 gallon reef story

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Will this thread never die :D :D

I agree with you about the bubbles. I get some that make it back to the main tank. The problem with having the sump and fuge in line is that is puts a lot of flow through the fuge. If I did it over again, I would add another baffle after the skimmer, and make the fuge a little smaller. JMO.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
so you would have three baffles between the skimmer and the next compartment? I haven't made anything permanent but with the euro reef skimmer on one end and the mag pump on the other it doesn't look like alot of room for a fuge. Do you have enough room in yours to put a heater???

why would you want this post to die, its great!

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
also... did you install the auto top off at the same time as the sump? could i do it after i have water in it? FINIALLY do you have any matting under your sump. Is the return pump sitting on anything, is that loud?

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
Lookin Good Dave!!!

I was thinking of replacing my 36 gal bowfront with a 125. I'm now thinking a 90 will be plenty big enough. I'd love to get one custom made in starphire glass. HHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmm :)

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
so you would have three baffles between the skimmer and the next compartment?
Yeah, I'd do 3 notched baffles, separated by 1", pushing the flow from the back to the front, then back again. I'd only do 2 on the fuge side, since the flow is low.
Do you have enough room in yours to put a heater???
Actually, no, it's in the overflow.
also... did you install the auto top off at the same time as the sump? could i do it after i have water in it?
I have drilled baffles in a full sump, but I wouldn't recommend it. What I did the last time was to drill the hole, and then silicone a piece of acrylic over it until I was ready to install the float.
FINIALLY do you have any matting under your sump. Is the return pump sitting on anything, is that loud?
Nothing under the sump, but I have a piece of neoprene (part of an old wetsuit) under the return. Cuts the noise a little.
I was thinking of replacing my 36 gal bowfront with a 125. I'm now thinking a 90 will be plenty big enough. I'd love to get one custom made in starphire glass.
If I could do it over again, I'd go for a 120. 18" is awfully narrow, both for aquascaping and for installing a sump. Starphire (or the generic equivalent) on the other hand, is a great idea :D

Last edited:

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Thanks for your help. Do you have only one heater in your tank? 120gallons is the perfect size. I think I'll ignore that fact and give my little 65gallon some attention, hey I've doubbled from a 29, maybe next step is a 120! yes.... hahaha I'll take pics once I finish my plumbing, but I'm sure i'll stumble into some questions before I'm done. I'll start my own post, or use my old one for updates. thanks for your helpa again.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I usually only have one heater. In the winter, I put a second one in the display because the room temp often goes below 50 and one heater can't keep up.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
90 gallon, one year later

The planets have converged so that I have time to shoot a few photos and the camera was actually in town last week.

Just short of a year ago, the tank looked like this:

Earlier this year, during a long algae bloom, and before a modest meltdown during a trip, it looked like this:

The algae bloom has subsided, a few more corals have been added, and the tank is no longer an embarrassment:

Left side:

Center:

From right end:

One more overview, center-left:

A lot of the frags and colonies are growing rapidly (pics to follow), but there's obviously lots of room for more.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
WOWEE Mo!! Things certainly have progressed nicely for you over the year. Congrats on a work well done!

Boohoo said:
That looks awesome! :dance: I would love to have a salt water set up but I'm not brave enough to take on that responsability yet. :(
Boohoo, it's really not as much as you would think in regards to responsibility. It's just a different type as compared to freshwater. I say study up on the start of it and give it a whirl. You will not be disappointed. And after you do, you can be sitting here telling someone else the same as you proudly look at your accomplishment. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store