Do you have a favorite reel or combo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Schneider

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
I have a 9 foot St. Croix avid series spinning rod with a Shimano Stradic 4000FH spinning reel. Have landed 20lb king salmon in good shape using 8lb test with this combo. Rod has a lifetime warranty and picked reel up on clearance for $80 two years ago. These reels have top notch drags for a decent price.

003.jpg 005.jpg

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was using a Quantum snapshot until this year...it was about 15 years old and finally was just falling apart. I picked up a nice shakespeare spinning combo at Cabelas early this season which seems to be working well. My fly rod is some no-name brand, but as often as I go I don't think it really matters too much. I also have a little 4' shakespeare microspin ultralight combo that I carry with me when I'm not catching anything...I can throw a small rubber worm on that thing and have fun for hours catching bluegill and dace.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have a dual purpose rod I carry in my larger tackle box. You can set it up as a sinning rode or flip the handle and make it a fly rod. Since I usually use a baitcaster or spinner, I can set it up for flyfishing in a snap. I also have a microlight that I love to use in certain places.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
LOL It's not the rod and reel that fail, its the numbskull holding it!:laugh:
And by the same token, its not the rod and reel that make the success, its the fisherman. I'm sure that even if I was using a top of the line G. Loomis rod setup or something, there are people out there that could still outfish me with a cane pole and a piece of kite string.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
And by the same token, its not the rod and reel that make the success, its the fisherman. I'm sure that even if I was using a top of the line G. Loomis rod setup or something, there are people out there that could still outfish me with a cane pole and a piece of kite string.
LOL outfish all of us no doubt! I fish with an old codger that has gear going back eons and he can still outcast and outfish alot of people. His hooks are rusty and dull and his line beat up, yet he still lands the big ones!

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I just picked up a 7' Rapala Magnum light action rod this year
Was gathering my fishing stuff for a trip and noticed all my rods were broken -_- (must've broke in the move I guess...i was super angry)

I love this rod so much and I highly recommend it for freshwater

my combo is now this rod and about a 10 year old Quantum xl (not sure which model...at work right now) baitcasting reel that I won't replace until I find something identical lol

It's missing like 3 oiling point covers on it lol BUT I WILL NEVER RETIRE IT!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store