Do you have a favorite reel or combo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
loomis 9'6" HSR 1025C with a Penn 965 and about 300 ft of 80lb tuff line plus.
All the feel in the world with enough backbone to take care of a 50 lb king a few times a year.

Siphon1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2010
Shimano Calcutta 700 baitcaster loaded with 80# power pro. Powerful reel! As for the rod depending on whether I'm surf or boat fishing I switch the reel between a St. Croix premier 10'6" or a 7' Loomis Pro Blue. Awesome rods! They are both so sensitive with loads of backbone! For plugging and eeling I use a St. Croix 10' with a Garcia 6600tc casting reel. It casts like a dream, but I don't like how loose the drag feels when practically locked down and the line capacity will have you sweating bullets. Especially with a large striper or gorilla blue on the other end!!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
My favorite for FW bass and catfishing, and inshore saltwater is an Abu Garcia 6500 c4 on a 7' med action Ugly Stick. Great for lures or baitcasting. My SW set-up has 15lb Ande monfilament and my FW has Ande 10lb. I've landed up to 60lb blue cats and 45lb Jack Cravelles on the same rod/reel combo, but mostly go after speckled trout, redfish and flounder.

My offshore combo is a Penn 12/0 on a 8' roller-tip penn boat rod with Ande 80lb monofilament. Biggest catch on it was a 60lb Wahoo.

Mark

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Personally, I like the Abu Garcia C4 line of reels. I find that though smaller, they have great ability and toughness. I broke the levelwind part of mine fighting a large fish and a simple fix brought it back to life without needing any new parts!

I was thinking of adding a 6500 to my arsenal and after reading your write-up I think I will.

eddiebait

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
An old post but a very interesting topic. I have quite a few rod and reel combinations that I use throughout the year depending on what I'm fishing for. I build custom fishing rods so naturally most of my personal rods are custom, I am partial to St Croix but have several Loomis and Lamiglas blanks in the collection. I think all of my spinning reels are some kind of Shimano, my baitcast reels are either Shimano or Garcia, and my fly reels are whatever. The one rod that usually always gets to go fishing is built with a Graphite-USA blank, it's a 6 foot blank they label as ultra light but I would class as medium light, I use a Shimano 1000 size reel and spool it with 6 lb yellow line. I can use it to fish Rapalas, Beetle Spins, and jigs. I also bring an extra spool filled with 2 lb test line and I can use this outfit with smaller jigs for panfish.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Personally, I like the Abu Garcia C4 line of reels. I find that though smaller, they have great ability and toughness. I broke the levelwind part of mine fighting a large fish and a simple fix brought it back to life without needing any new parts!

I was thinking of adding a 6500 to my arsenal and after reading your write-up I think I will.
Jeff, I own 6 of the 6500/ ugly stick combos. I also have a couple 5500s on shimano rods that I seldom use any more. I like the 6500. It's smooth, easy to cast, holds a lot of line and is very simple to breakdown for cleaning, lube and repair. The C3s are easier to find but the extra bearing in the C4s make them soooo much smoother, IMO.

We have a superb tackle shop about 20 minutes north that carries a full line of spare parts for the Abu Garcias, so I keep a few extra level wind pawls and gears onhand for quick repairs.

Mark

eddiebait

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
Hey Excuzzzeme, I've repaired about a gazillion Abu-Garcia Ambassador baitcast reels, the 6500c4 would be a great addition to your collection of reels. They are ruggedly built, easy to service, and parts are readily available. The fiber drag washers (there are 4, cost less than $1 each) do easily wear out, and the drag will not tighten as when the reel was new. Also if any oil or grease gets into the drag mechanism the same thing happens.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Eddie - this isn't an old thread. It just doesn't get used too much. There are probably equal number of serious and occasional sportsmen. It is not likely that an occasional sportsman would invest the money in equipment that the serious ones do, hence a slow moving Thread.

I am glad to see it revive every now and then as it gives us a central post to discuss our favorite equipment. I guess it's a close to a review wit hout really being one lol.

Mark - I have been watching Ebay sales on the used reels and find that most sales are reasonable in price. Like you, I don't mind repairing a reel after an abusing season. As far as the drag loosening, I would expect that and not worried about it. I have burned out many drag system when fish for striper or blues.

The biggest point for me other than durability is a line out clicker, especially when out in the boat and I want to find fish shoals and not be watching for a hit. So far, my Penn levelwinds give me confidence of being able to hear a line running out.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Shakespeare Prius Ultra Light combo. 2 or 4lb test. Just for panfish! Love it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store