Dwarf Chain Loach Tank build(pics coming!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chonhzilla

AC Members
Dec 27, 2008
Hey Sean were are you planning to get those denisonii's?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Yeah, bad batch I think. It was prolly bad luck from the start. One was DOA when I got them. They were all feeding and colouring up nicely, not quite sure what happened. The five sids and the banded darter are all happy as can be.

Chon, I was thinking from Richard. His suppliers better be able to give me a decent guarantee though, if I am going to drop $100 on a school of fish they better live longer than three days.

mattskims

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
How many denisonii's are you planning to keep in there? They are a very social fish and do best in a group...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sounds good! I wish all 5 of my p. dennisonii made it through Q, only 2 did. They shoal with my SAEs, until I can get some more, they're lovely!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thats a nasty chunk of change for them not to make it through QT. Thats a bummer.

Hopefully I will have better luck with them than the Odessa barbs. I am debating whether or not to order another school of them....

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Still waiting for pics! ;)

IME denisonii are going to be fragile so just do the best you can to minimize stress for the time being. They tend to be skittish and would freak out any time I put my hand in the tank to trim or move plants. One thing though was there were only 3 or 4 at a time so get more if you can. They'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Another thing I noticed is that they had a hard time competing for food. I dont know why but they pretty much let the other fish in the tank (danios, apistos, and I think some corys) get a shot at whatever was for dinner before they where even remotely interested. Maybe that was just the particular personalities, but this was what I noticed. Btw, it wasnt my tank but a 40B at my LFS and the roselines were about 3-5" at the time.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Hmm, interesting, jpappy. My dennisonii are fat piglets, not nervous except when the even fatter SAE chases them.
I'd advise waiting a week or better 2 after the lfs gets them in, losses from shipping can be high. And yes I was bummed

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
That is the question, loachguy. My digital camera is broken, my parent's won't transfer photos, and I don't have any other camera atm. Pics are, unfortunately, on hold till I buy my new camera.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store