first sw fish 2 out of 4 dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
pH is 8.2 (leaning towards 8.4). I took a water sample in to the lfs to see what they came up with. they said it was perfect. It's looking like it's coming down to the fish or me lol. I either acclimated them too fast and shocked them or they had some pre existing problem. They went from the bag to the tank in about 30 minutes. I added small amounts of water throughout that time but I think i should have prolonged the process to closer to an hour maybe.

Last edited:

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
Drip acclimation over an hours period has always worked for me best. I havent lost one fish,coral,invert, acclimating this way. I drip 1 to2 drops a second.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
this may be a stupid question, but how do you drip acclimate? what kinda setup do you use? I've always just poured a little water into the bag at a time, but I doubt you are standing there with an eye dropper "dripping". please explain.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I've always wondered what drip acclimation was too.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
If your tank is to be a F/O tank, then a pH of 8.2 is good enough. And I have to assume that your without a QT. If so most LFS again have their holding tanks salinity at 1.018-19 and your tank if you decide to raise your tanks pH would then be a great deal higher to acclimate your new fish arrivals. I would then suggest to you even a slower and longer period of acclimating your fish.

As is, when I get any high price fish for my tank when ready, I add a amount of water to start the acclimating and to continue it with the drip method, leaving it that way for not less then two hours. This will be done as well when moving the corals or fish from the QT to their main tank.

Items required for the drip acclimation method:
1 5 gallon bucket
1 section of airline tubing
1 Air Control Valve
2 Suction Cups
1 Fish Net

Buddy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
your assumption that i dont have a QT is correct. I'm in the process of getting a 10g ready for salt though, so hopefully that will be sufficient. all FOUR Chromis are officially dead now. It looks like I screwed up and put them in the tank too fast....that seems to be the general consensus anyway.

It's back to square one i guess. Anyone have recommendations for new fish?
Also, will these brown (possibly diatoms) areas on the sand and rock ever disappear?
I have 3 emerald crabs in there, but they want nothing to do with the stuff as expected

Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I was telling you that the yellow tailed damsels are some of the best first fish to start with, but still years ago I used a juvenile 4-5" Panther Grouper to age my tanks back then, and I return the fish when I was ready to buy the fish that I planned on.

The diatoms should once your tank ages well should vanish from sight.
I was wondering however, if your a sump with skimmer and on the crab, I would gone with mostly snails rather but don't run out to buy the snails while your three emerald crabs in there, you should as well in time start to loose these crabs sense their no food source and seeing that you couldn't possibly be having bubble algae, though they will also eat hair algae and other macro algaes, you should had rather bought hermit crabs instead.

Buddy

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
this may be a stupid question, but how do you drip acclimate? what kinda setup do you use? I've always just poured a little water into the bag at a time, but I doubt you are standing there with an eye dropper "dripping". please explain.

Drip acclimation is where you would use an IV method to acclimate the fish.

You get a bucket or something similar, open the bag with the fish, coral or invert, place the fish etc into the bucket with all the water from the bag.
I like to use a Plastic square tupperware container. Walmart has these for cheap. Otherwise you wil have to tilt the bucket so the fish etc have enough water.

You then take a airline hose and run it into the maintank, and secure it there so it cant fall out. Tie a lose knot in the other end of the airline to where it will enter the bucket or container. Suck on the end and let it start to siphon. Tighten the knot up to get the desired drip of 1 to 2 drips a second. Let it sit for an hour. If the container you are using is filling up, take half the water out, and continue the drip.

Once the hour is up, remove the coral fish etc, and place them in the tank. It is less stressful this way and allows the fish to calm down while its being slowly acclimated.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
thats the best way to do it ^ theres also professionaly made drip acclimaters online you can buy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I'll try that drip method when i eventually get fish.

As for the crabs....will they eat dried seaweed, because i have no algae yet? They'll eat fish pellets, but i don't know if they have the proper nutrient values. If i have to return them then that's no big deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store