first sw fish 2 out of 4 dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
it's hard trying to keep different ideas in out of my head, ya know? this is all pretty new and extremely exciting. I'm 100 percent sold on having a pair of tank-raised clowns. Money is somewhat of an issue so the Gramma Melcara is out for now. I'd rather pay 20 or so for a Royal Gramma. My problem is that I'm over-thinking my stocking list and it seems like i'm doing to much research (If that's possible). I want to have the best tank possible for my budget. I appologize for any repetitive questions. I've just taken in so much new knowledge with this SW experience that it is overwhelming at times. There are many types of wrasse. do you recommend any in peticular? A sixline maybe?

Set in Stone:
2 tank raised ocellaris clowns.
1 royal gramma

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
sixline wrasse, you can ask around and get two different opinions like their not aggressive or their semi-aggressive. Still its a good fish, i never seen when my 180 was running with corals that there was any aggression at all and tank size as well will play a hugh part in aggressive behavior from other tank mates. Perhaps you not mind taking a look at the Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus),. it would add color for your F/O tank. Another type of fish you might like to take a look at are the Blue Spot Sharpnose Puffer, Saddle Puffer Fish and the White Spotted Sharphose Puffer as well there are a number of others in this area you could take a look at, even the Valentini species of this family, but you can only select one. And also check around asking others for the one that would be the lease aggressive.

research you must and never say your sorry, for note that we all can learn some things from each other at one point or another. Also, be careful from were you research your facts at, facts can and often do differ from one site to another, start taking notes and look around to what other links tells you to those facts you found. You will come to learn to which links you can trust over the others. And do know that just because your reading a writers article, it not make that person all so knowledgeable. I seen many writing articles on all type of eels and found that person facts was only based on a few weeks of research. For most of the main facts he listed in his article were false.

So what if it be on the Internet or from a book as well as from any forum link, its that persons opinion and nothing more, it takes time of assisting one time and time again and only when you see that person who suggested such matters to you and been right on the money, you come to always trust his or her opinion. One final note, I been in this hobby for more then 60 years and im still learning things today, I will be learning until the day I die.

Buddy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
A lot of the research i've done is based on this site. there are many very knowledgable people here, including yourself (thank you). You are right in that people have different opinions on every single topic you can think of. some might even argue that purple is a primary color lol.

I like the yellow wrasse....it reminds me of the electric yellow cichlids i used to have. I will continue to research any remaining possible tankmates. I'm not sure about a puffer because it seems their diets are a little more specialized. I want to keep it as simple as possible for the time being.

The plan:
2 tank raised perculas
1 royal gramma (i read a few places that royal grammas are carnivores. I'm trying to keep everyone on a similar diet)
1 yellow wrasse (canary, golden wrasse)

I'm loving the fact that with your help I'm able to finally figure out what I'm going to have in this 75g.

Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
You would still be offering certain formula frozen foods, flakes for the most part wont cut it and also you would get Zooplankton, phytoplankton and plankton and I will need to better research the idea of those pellets foods. Do note that just because their out there it not mean that its the best type of food for your fish. One day when im the time, I will look up the nutritional facts, but still flakes and pellets I will never offer these to my reef live stock. Still its my opinion and only l however my opinion for you yourself will need to reach your own conclusion in what im telling you here.
As for the type of foods for carnivores as you put it, when using an electric chopper for shrimp, squid, fish and scallops and such, with certain other items mix in, I believe that most anything will or would feed on it.
You want to get some ideas in this, read many of the TOTM at RC and see what others are feeding and view their live stock, then you might get a better picture to all this.
Buddy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I now have a tomato clown and a tank-raised percula that I scored for 20 bucks at my lfs. add to that my 3 emerald crabs and six hermits and i finally have some movement in my tank! I know the tomato can be territorial, but I'm hoping the tank is big enough so this wont be an issue. I couldn't reist him. His front half looks "typical tomato" but the back fades into almost a black with a sunburst colored tail.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I wouldnt have both species of clownfish, for one is the tomato clown grows so much larger and will become more aggressive as well, you wont see this right away, but it will happen for your tank is not big enough as you figure it to be. Still you need to feed your fish a variety nutritional diet, do not simply stick with one or two types of foods. Do you have a camera so others might see your tank setup and rock work?

Buddy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I dont know if i posted the pics right. (first time). I'm contemplating returning the tomato for something else, but he's just a beautiful fish! He's extremely active. He goes after flakes, pellets, seaweed. I haven't done any live food yet. My main concern right now is figuring out what livestock i want in there. Sorry, the glass is dirty. I haven't cleaned it since putting some more rock in.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Nice, your tank been setup for a few months so glass cleaning becomes a normal thing to do. I think i mention it to you to select your favorite fish you like to have in your tank, and then work around it with your possible stocking list. In the first photo, your LR at the right appears to be a more normal of the fish surroundings and offers the fish you will have a total hiding place so that they would feel more secured and depending on how many fish you will have in there, more LR maybe will be needed. Also on your glass cleaning method, you might try a paper towel and spay a little windex on the paper towel, not on your tanks glass and wipe, and after wipe with a dry paper towel.

If and when you do add more LR, when you buy it you have it in your QT first, then when your tanks Nitrite and so turns zero, you can add some 15 lbs of LR at a time and wait before adding more, even if your buying cured LR, it will still spike your tanks ammonia and nitrites.

I thought from what you said earlier that you wanted the pair of tank raised clowns, build your stocking selection around them then, if it still be your thought to own a pair of clownfishes. Good Luck

Buddy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I agree on a few things. I'm a little low on live rock like you said and I also like the rock setup on the right. The tomato was more of an impulse buy. Maybe I made a mistake. He just looks so healthy especially after having those first four chromis' die on me. I know I need to just stick to a plan, but sometimes i'm finding it can be hard. I'm happy my tank is finally coming along though and I definitely appreciate you sticking with me through this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store