first sw fish 2 out of 4 dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
The emerald crabs might feed on the dried seaweed, but only time will tell if they will survive on it or not. The idea of having the emerald crabs before your tank is well off stocked with other marine life and algae is plentiful. The real best idea here would be to get them out and have hermits and snails. The other thing be is that the emerald crabs will prey on most things smaller then themselves. If your tank was a larger tank, you might be able to pull it off without losing many hermits or snails, but the smaller the tank makes this almost impossible. You put the emerald crabs in by hand didn't you? Their pretty nasty pinchers aren't they?

Buddy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
i didn't touch the crabs. I acclimated them in the bag...once that was done i scooped them up in the net and set the net in the tank and they crawled out. I didn't want to risk getting pinched haha. I'm thinking i'm going to everyones advice and return them. unfortunately i wont get the $24 i paid for the 3. how many hermits and snails (turbo/mexican i presume) should i replace the crabs with?

(the diatom bloom is now spreading to the glass....eh.....)

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Being your only some diatom blooming around your tank, I have to say just go with snails for the time being. and I would go with the smaller snails for also, I not know what your plans be for this tank. If it be F/O or you will also have some corals as well?

Buddy

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I'm not planning on corals in the forseeable future. I dont have the lighting system or the experience to deal with them. I'm sticking with live rock only for now. I'm probably going to get a couple clownfish, but everything else is up in the air....i'm taking suggestions for a nice peaceful tank.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
The best you can do is a pair, try for a pair of tank raised clowns, you not be able to mix so many others and your best to select what is your favorite type of fish, and build around it what other tank mates you might be able to have. Being that is your without a plan.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
what is your opinion on triggers? I understand they are aggressive (some more than others) but i'm thinking about a huma huma. I know that if i go that route then crabs and snails are probably out of the question as they will most likely turn out to be meals. I probably wont be able to have the clowns, but that would be fine with me.

This is hard considering i have many options since i really have nothing in the tank. lol. My lfs has a million tank raised ocellaris and if that's the best route to go right now then i'll do it.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
i think I'm just going to stay with the clown idea. that way I can have a CUC of sorts for now. maybe as i become more experienced i can start looking into triggers. :(

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Are you thinking in having a moray eel? If so a Snowflake eel would be a good starter fish seeing your tanks nitrite is zero and your very low nitrate level if any. You get a few dozen snails and try and stick with a more community tank rather then jump around to so many different ideas were you find it to be extremely difficult to select from, and to top it off, your only a 75 gal tank.

So your the clowns you want, now select a wrasse and of the angels you might select from, it be best to go with the flame angelfish, but get it later after your tank age some. Also pick only one smaller growing surgeonfish and some others like a Basslet and Basslets are territorial so add towards the end with the flame angel if you decide to have it.

For the fish you will have, please do your research before buying them and be sure to offer each fish the best variety nutritional diet you can and two of the best Basslets I know of to choose from are the Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto) and Blackcap Basslet (Gramma melacara).

Without the trigger fish, you can have snails, just you need to check on them if they turned over, you will need to place them upright so they can feed, if you fail to check on them and the some did turnover somehow, they will die.

Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store