Fishless Cycle in a Rut?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
Thanks for the reply, rrkss. :)

Peace...

MrPpers

AC Members
Dec 14, 2005
I didn't see anybody recomend that he throw away those 5 in 1 test strips and get some test kits that use liquid reagents. Really the dipstrips are not very accurate and give IMO a to broad of a range to be any good. Just my 2 cents worth

aklaum

AC Members
Dec 31, 2005
24 hours after I did the water change, baking soda and ammonia add the ammonia level is back to 0 from 5ppm. So the 4 days at the crashed pH and KH levels didn't seem to wipe out the bacteria, just slowed them down.

Are the dip strips really that bad? I have both a liquid reagent ammonia test and ammonia dip strips and they seem to jive with each other as far as readings.

Kudos to RTR for exactly nailing the problem a mere hour after my original post. Now that's service!

Thank you all for your great help and advice. I posted my original message on another forum that seemed "active" and I still haven't seen any replies. I'm sticking with Aquaria Central from now on.

Besides, where else can you find such great information on "rock with string"?

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
If I may ask.... what caused the initial ph, Kh crash?
Not doing frequent enough water changes? I noticed nitrates at 80ppm in one of the earlier posts. ...which seems excessive?

Is there a rule of thumb about nitrate levels during a fishless cycle?

Last edited:

aklaum

AC Members
Dec 31, 2005
Galaxie,

Were you asking me that question? My guess is that the bacteria just consumed all of the carbonate out of the water and the KH and pH just kept dropping until it bottomed out. This would make sense because I didn't do any water changes and therefore there was no way to replenish their need for carbonate. None of the fishless cycling articles I have seen mention water changes, but perhaps they are wise? Not sure.

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
aklaum said:
None of the fishless cycling articles I have seen mention water changes, but perhaps they are wise? Not sure.
That's why I asked. Seems that some water changes (or dosing with baking soda?) would have kept your cycle stable, but I've never seen it stated that one should change water when doing a fishless cycle.

Otherwise, lots of good info in this thread.

Thx.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The processes of oxidizing ammonia to nitrite, and in turn nitrite to nitrate, use up bicarbonate. Fishless cycling emulates a grossly overstocked tank, and by the end of the process can have produced nitrate levels in excess of 100ppm, but 50-100 is more common. All that nitrate production can and does use up all the buffering capacity/alkalinity in low-KH water, allowing the KH and pH to decline or crash.

There is absolutely no restriction on water partials in fishless cycling - why on earth would there be? But in higher KH water there is no need to partial until the end, then a massive change is standard proceedure.

Folk with low KH water need to find this out upfront in any case, or it can be a chronic issue.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Just a quick note as much for other folks following this thread as anything else.

The carbonate consumption issue is one that isn't as widely discussed as it should be. I did include it in the cycling article, and there is some information in the thread entitled "additional thoughts on fishless cycling"

Hard water folks never see the issue areise, but anyone with soft water will.

It is necessary to know your tap KH to really decide the bast action. if tap KH is >3 then water changes will take care of consumption
If tap KH is below 3 then Baking sado would IMO be the better option. One of the advantages of fishless cycling is that you don't have to do frequent partials during a fishless cycle. If your tap Kh is so low that you are forced to do frequent water changes that particular advantage is lost. As RTR said though. there is no disadvantage (aside from the physical effert expended) to doing water changes. Either way works, but tap Kh would be the deciding factor for me.
Dave

aklaum

AC Members
Dec 31, 2005
I agree. Some great info in this thread, glad I started it :p

So tonight after 24 hours my 3ppm of ammonia is gone and nitrites are < .5ppm.

I think the end is near.

I just dosed another 3ppm of ammonia and will check again tomorrow. I'm thinking Thursday for fish. Sound reasonable?

Sounds like I also better test my tap water for ph, KH. I'm going to put 2 gallons in a bucket and let it sit for 24 hours. It does need to sit for 24 hours for an accurate reading right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store