I would like to "downgrade"....suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
How about the mini bow AGA 2.5 gal tank? I also have a red sea nano deco art filter that I will use instead of the filter that comes w/it because I have heard a lot of negative things about the filter. I pretty much have everything that I will need b/c of my current setup. Ill also replace the bulb w/a 10 or 11 W CF.
That's a good idea. In fact, an acrylic tank is smart in general because it will prevent you having to replace a glass tank because you accidentally knocked it against a wall while moving... not that that's ever happened to me before :shakehead:

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
i don't see the problem. i had 6g and 10g tanks during college, and it wasn't really a big problem to move them around. i brought the tanks home for every winter and summer vacation and it doesn't take a lot of work to break it down and set it up again. all you need is a bucket for transporting the fish.
Space is the bigger problem. College dorms are small...

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I brought my 55 gal to my dorm...But anyways smallest tank size I'd get for a betta is one gal. Personally wouldn't go under five gal because small tanks are so hard to keep.

To the person who said a betta cannot live in under a ten gal tank, it is widely accepted that they can.

feemia

AC Members
Mar 20, 2007
South-Central Washington
A 5 gallon hex would be sufficient and it has a small footprint so that you can fit it on the corner of your desk. In a dorm room, that may be the only flat space other than the floor that is available. Hopefully you don't have to share a desk with your roommate, but I don't think many colleges do that anymore.

Adding lots of easy care live plants can break up the tank into different areas so the betta has different spaces to explore. Then maybe he won't feel so cramped by the downgrade from a 10 to a 5.

Espada

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Personally wouldn't go under five gal because small tanks are so hard to keep.
Exactly, that's why I advised earlier not to go too small. The problem with really small tanks is that every little problem is multiplied by the small size of the tank, whether it's temperature, chemistry, water flow, a dead fish that's discovered too late, etc, etc.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
stick with the ten, and put it on a reinforced or strong shelf. by saving a little space you are out like 20 bucks, and in college every penny saved is good.

Mar 9, 2007
I bought the AGA Mini Bow 2.5 gal tank. I already had the Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter, so I was pretty much set. My betta seems happy, as he has already started w/his bubble nest blowing, which he didn't do much in the other tank. Hmmm...Well at least he's happy w/his new home!

Mar 9, 2007
Gosh....I think my betta is more comfortable in his 2.5 g versus the 10. He NEVER built bubble nests in my 10, and there wasn't a current to blow em away either. I need to do a WC today, but I dont want to ruin the thing, because he's making it bigger now as we speak. Check em out:

IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

Mar 9, 2007
A cool 'mirror' photo

IMG_0070.JPG

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
I applaud anyone who keeps their betta in a well-maintained tank larger than 1 gallon. I've seen way too many LITERALLY PINT-sized divided containers go home with two betta fish. That's a "permanent" home of 1 cup of water each...and it's sold as such. On the other hand a 2 gallon tank is 32 cups of water for one fish. An experienced person can maintain this for the betta's natural lifetime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store