Important News about Transporting CO2 Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
sorry to hear, ian.
my condolences.

honestly, i never thought i'd have this conversation with all the tanks i've seen blow over time.

either way... if it's secured properly (standing up, strapped down, etc.) and it blows it shouldn't be able to move. suffocation and any random shrapnel (like the regulator) would be your only immediate threats.

strap them puppies down. safety first...

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
As long as we remove our regulator we're alright. Right?
Yeah, with the regulator or other external fittings removed the tank is very safe. The built in valve is protected by the solid steel of the tanks neck, so there is no way if can fail in a "bottle rocket" sort of way.

And if the tank is sitting in a rack and strapped down, even if the fittings fail, it's not going any place. You get a lot of noise, a big cloud of CO2, and need to go outside while the air clears, so you don't suffocate.

It's when they are unsecured in transport that a fitting "could" easily be damaged, like from dropping it, and the cylinder "could" launch off in some random direction.

Even with an empty cylinder, a drop could weaken the fitting, and it might fail under pressure later?

Be careful out there.

Ian

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
As far as laws and regulations go, the vehicle requires no placards or specials provisions unless it's over 99lbs. gross weight. If you have any other questions let me know. At work right now. Sorry I didn't post a reply sooner

alan j t

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Reno NV
Real Name
alan
good to know. when i bought my first co2 tank at air/gas, i had to sighn a waiver and made sure i understood what was given to me.
scary stuff, just be safe people.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Good to know. For transporting a cylinder long distances, should it be emptied? I may be moving in May and it will likely be a long move. IDK if the moving company will take a CO2 cylinder, and if not, I'll have to move it myself. Maybe I should empty it beforehand.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I drove over 200lbs. of C4 around the other day. CO2 is really not a hazard. Think of it as contents under pressure and that's about it.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i think tunnels would be your worst legality, honestly. i doubt your moving company is going to be willing to take it, however.

sundevil88

AC Members
Feb 9, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Jose
i work in the gas cylinders dept at my university and yes, it is illegal to transport cylinders with anything attached to them, or even ride in elevators when transporting them up and down different floors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store