Important News about Transporting CO2 Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
lets keep it civil folks...thanks...

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
there are still cylinders around with seems although they are being phased out. few and far between. as well, spun cylinders can go also. it's highly unlikely, but it happens. the difference is in how they blow. the spun cylinders consistently fold outward from the failure/impact point retaining most, if not all of their metal intact. this keeps it from becoming a projectile.

either way, my point with the split seem was complete, instant discharge in an unknown direction... which would cause a hazard in a confined space, unlike the idea of a tank becoming a missile in the back seat of a car from a valve blowing.

the tank that blew... we didn't realize it but the valve in the tank itself was faulty. the tank discharged very quickly to say the least. not likely as much of a difference as you'd think. after that tank was re-filled and installed, a couple days later it was empty and being pressure tested. it failed miserably. i knew someone was going to jump on that as soon as i posted it. ahhh, well.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
there are still cylinders around with seems although they are being phased out. few and far between. as well, spun cylinders can go also. it's highly unlikely, but it happens. the difference is in how they blow. the spun cylinders consistently fold outward from the failure/impact point retaining most, if not all of their metal intact. this keeps it from becoming a projectile.

either way, my point with the split seem was complete, instant discharge in an unknown direction... which would cause a hazard in a confined space, unlike the idea of a tank becoming a missile in the back seat of a car from a valve blowing.

the tank that blew... we didn't realize it but the valve in the tank itself was faulty. the tank discharged very quickly to say the least. not likely as much of a difference as you'd think. after that tank was re-filled and installed, a couple days later it was empty and being pressure tested. it failed miserably. i knew someone was going to jump on that as soon as i posted it. ahhh, well.
lol I think both of us are thinking too much into this..

As per initial post by coach_z,

It is dangerous to have anything compressed in a confined space. As long as the compressed gas source is secured, one should be fine.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
^^^i can definitely agree with that^^^

i've enjoyed it, thanks bk.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
"R U boys done bickering?"
I like to add my 5 Cents worth of wisdom now.

When it comes to CO-2 tanks and transporting them to be re-filled, I always have kind of a gnawing feeling in my stomach.

Anyway, they can be transported to be refilled, BUT, for heaven's sake, take off the regulator valve before you head out to the car.
Once the bottle is filled and the regulator is put back onto the bottle, one should make sure that the full bottle is kept upright. It should not be tippy, therefore support it so it does not tip over. I ruined an open Dupla valve in the past because the CO-2 entered the valve in liquid form when I tipped the bottle over. Costly mistake...

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Common sense should be used with extreme prejudice.

No regs on it, try to carry it upright and transport as such.
You could use some chain hooks for the back seat and they get latched on there, or I use this same thing on the back of my truck bed.
Some wrap the tanks in a towel and lay them in the back and wedge things under to prevent them from moving at all during the drive.

The rules and regs are there because some one had a serious accident that could have been avoided, same for Fire codes etc.

That is why the rules are in place. Not to simply hassle businesses or hobbyists:duh:

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store