Issues with Eshopps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
[yt]Mf4qix8kgTU[/yt]

Now the one thing that is important if you run it that way is the U Tube on the back side of the box must be lower than the white PVC pipe for the drain, if it isn't the syphon will break on a power outtage and flood over the top of the tank. That is why the center chamber on the back side is taller, so the syphon doesn't break. I would try putting the tubes back in the center and just spreading them apart as much as possible on the front side and see if you get the same good results, if you don't, you know the problem is that middle chamber but it shouldn't be.

I am thinking the 2 U Tubes so close to each other on the front side were causing a problem, they were fighting each other/pulling water from each other and lowering the total GPH they can handle, which is why I am thinking if you just spread them apart as much as possible on the front side it will solve your problem.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Ya I originally tried just spreading the skimmer side of the u tubes, but it did nothing. I guess I could pull the stand pipes and make longer ones to keep the water level higher than the syphon tubes.

Why does it just now flow like rated after doing it wrong?
Shouldn't it run as rated setup correctly?

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
I will probably just pull out the standpipe and put in a longer one.

Why does this thing not work the way it was designed?

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Well, update, I lengthened the stand pipes to maintain siphon, and guess what? Same freaking problem! Still no reply via email with eshopps, and no answer when I call.

Great customer service!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
LOL, this shouldn't be this complicated... but it is..

Maybe something to do with back pressure of the water coming out the U Tube on the back side causing a problem? Just throwing out random ideas at this point.

Are the U Tubes exactly the same length on both sides of the bend, or is one longer than the other if you put it on a flat surface? Just wondering if it is possible to have them backwards?

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Ya I even thought of that too, and the u tubes are the exact same length, I even tried sliding them forward and backward to try an angle to no avail.

While I haven't found the reason that the overflow does not flow as rated, or got any response from eshopps, I have found a solution...

I quickly made a PVC u tube and tried that out and it did work. So looks like I need 2 more "eshopps" clear u tubes as I like seeing the condition of the tubes.

But believe you me, I will not be paying for them thru eshopps, after spending $120 on a clear acrylic box thing, they will be giving me two $8 u tubes for free or I will be trading it in for a CPR lol.

But ace, I can't thank you enuf for the amount of help and time you have spent with me trying to remedy this problem. I have always been weary of HOB overflows and paranoid about failure issues, and this didn't help.

Good news tho, once I get this all ironed out, and my new pump installed, I will have upped my volume from 135g to 165g and increased my turnover from about 6x to over 30x per hour. My bio media will have gone up from about 1 gal to over 10 gal. Take that weekly maintenance schedule! Haha

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
The funny thing is I have all this headache and money invested in a freshwater tank lol.

Posted in the marine section because how many freshwater guys deal with sumps and overflows? Lol

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
How in the world are you doing that? I'm running a pool pump for an above ground pool but it doesn't have the flow of the pump I will be putting on there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store