Issues with Eshopps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There is no way that your setup will ever flow anywhere near its rated capacity. Lose the ball valves. Before anyone flames me get a standard Sch40 ball valve, open it wide and look inside. The opening through the internal ball is nowhere near the nominal diameter of the valve. That will cost you flow capacity.If you simply must have ball valves buck up and get full flow units at a real plumbing supply house.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
The issue is not the ball valves. Like I stated before, I did tweak the u tubes and run them un submerged and it flowed much faster. My plumbing will easily handle the full flow of the pump with no head. The u tubes are where the problems are arising.

If the tank is over filling and the backside of the overflow is nearly empty then the ballvalves are fine...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Currently that may be the case, but the point I was making is that with the ball valves installed your unit will not handle the 1600 gph it's rated at, since you are narrowing down one point in the drainage system. Will it handle the 1300 gph you plan on putting through it? You could lay a set of calipers on the inside of the ball and do the calculation, or just turn it on and find out. Since I don't live below you it really doesn't matter to me!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
There is no way that your setup will ever flow anywhere near its rated capacity. Lose the ball valves. Before anyone flames me get a standard Sch40 ball valve, open it wide and look inside. The opening through the internal ball is nowhere near the nominal diameter of the valve. That will cost you flow capacity.If you simply must have ball valves buck up and get full flow units at a real plumbing supply house.
I will have to disagree with that. I just looked at my BRS True Union Ball valves (Sch. 80, I have an extra one sitting right next to me) and the diameter is the same all the way through. No restriction at all. Maybe your talking about the cheap $2 ball valves from the local HW store vs the $15 BRS ones.. but in that case you get what you pay for, which is a giant headache using cheap valves.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
I went out and bought $15 ball valves and they are the same ID as the pipe mating to it. The only time it is a smaller diameter is when it is turned to any position than wide open...

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
How in the world are you doing that? I'm running a pool pump for an above ground pool but it doesn't have the flow of the pump I will be putting on there.
Can you double check the rating of the equipment? What is the overflow rated at? What is the pump rated at? Are the units the same?
I don't want to be rude, but people miss it sometimes. It could especially be true if the pump was not designed to be used on aquariums.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
No it's not rude at all and I appreciate anyones input on the situation.

The equipment ratings show that this will work, but real life experience is proving otherwise...

The eshopps PF-1800 is rated at 1600gph max.
The "Wet Set" Krystal Clear pool pump/filter is rated at 1000gph.

The rating on the pump is most likely without filter insert as most companies list without media for a more exaggerated and impressive number. It currently has no filter insert as it's purpose is not to be a filter, simply a pump.

With the nearly 4ft of vertical head, plus the additional 4ft of head accuired from the 4 90° elbows on the spray bar, the pump should be well below the "rated" 1000gph.

The issue with the overflows capability to handle the volume of water was worse originally with the overflow being configured as instructed. I have since then modified the u tube placement and stand pipe height. The overflow still did not handle the unadulterated flow of the pump before adding the spray bar. But the spray bar only masks the true problem of the overflows short comings.

The new pump will be 1920gph and real world flow will realistically be 1400gph with the amount of head present.

BTW, the plumbing did handle the full flow of the pump when run directly into the backside of the overflow box, not using the siphon, and handled it without issue. The box in fact almost stayed empty with no build up of water. So the flow there is plenty sufficient...

Any other ideas? Lol I'm still lost...

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
Check the dimensions of the box. Is it 12x4x10''?
There are rumors on the net that there should be one 1/ 1/2'' tube instead of two smaller ones on the newer models. They changed it because some users had problems (maybe there was too much back pressure because the back chamber was not big enough?).
For best results, the water level in the middle chamber, in the back of the aquarium part of the overflow, should be as low as possible with respect to the level in the box inside of the aquarium. At the same time, it should be higher than the lowest point of the tubes inside the aquarium to avoid air getting in the tubes during power failure. (You did your best here as much as I saw in the video).

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
I imagine this is the pump model you have:
1000 GPH
Model 637 Filter Pump
Krystal Clear Filter Pump for use with 8', 10', 12', 13', 14', 15', and 16' pools. 1000 GPH
i don't know much about the pump, but it looks like it was designed to be used with a fine filter cartridge and quiet a bit of head pressure. Is the 1000GPH with the 0 head? Does it say so in the manual?

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Ya it's the model 637R rated at 1000gph. Most likely rated without filter as most companies do for better selling points... Either way there is still no way it is pushing more than 1600gph like the overflow is rated for...

Looks like the quick fix is to get 2 more u tubes do a total of 4 or 2 of the larger ones they should be coming with now...

If only eshopps would return my emails...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store