Knifefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
The severums are nice, but in a planted tank, your plants would be chow.

They like to rearrange things. As I recall, most of the cichlid tanks are usually made up of caves, rock and smooth edged or rounded gravel. They pick it up and spit it out while looking for inertebrates in the substrate. They will even tear out plastic plants. As I understand it. :confused: My tank will be planted so, my choices are more limited.

Severum and BGK are fine together, however.

Last edited:

ryknier

just tryin to make it fun
Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
hmm, so they are good gravel cleaners, what would you recommend then for a 72g? with a BGK and a possible Severum? I was thinking about it being planted but thats still up in the air, actually, thats still up in the water :) I am very open ended right now as far as waht fish go in, I am looking at fancy as in neat to look at!

Swimfins

well, now comes the time to decide. Is it gonna be plant oriented or fish oriented. Which will save some grief later on. Plants need certain light levels, which some fish dislike. The BGK prefers lower light levels, and will be more active in lower light. I am not too keen on a brightly lit tank either, because of where I am putting the tank, so my plan is for low light plants, and a darkish look to it. Lighting is a whole 'nother subject.

Anyway as you can see, there are many other variables. I suggest perusing photos of what people have done, and go from there. There are many sites with tank photos and lists of what's in them to give you ideas. Planning is lots of fun, you'll find you change ideas as you go along, but if you keep in mind a picture of what you'd like to end up with, it can all work out.

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
well I think I am going to go with fish, and after that, see if plants are compaitble

Swimfins

Plants are easier to add first, however. Its probably easier to landscape before the fish are in. I know if they pull out a plant now, I hate being up to my armpits in water trying to get it to stay planted. As you might now, they like to float. *&^$@!! plant!

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
I used to be a swimmer, so fixing anything inside the tank doesn't bother me, I would in fact choose to be swiming in the tank with the fish rearranging things. But is the elmersaquarium.com community tank pretty good reference?!? Thats kinda where I am getting my picks of fish from....

Last edited:

Swimfins

yes its good compatibility wise, but not size wise, nor do they tell you how many fish of your choice per tank size. So, draw your own conclusions.
Beware tiger barbs and BGK, although I think they say its ok. Its not. Also avoid silver tip tetra, which are fin nippers as well. I used Elmer's chart with success in starting up my 25g as I had no idea what was compatible at the start. After talking to knowledgeable LFS people and this forum, I learned alot, also you can look up Dr Foster's as they have a compatiblity chart, but won't give info as to tankmates for BKG, however.

I've got my list down to mild cichlids, like kribensis, yellow lab, apistogrammas,
catfish, like greghoffsi, pictus cats, upside down catfish, anglefish (in an odd number like 3) Honey or kissing gourami, silver dollar, hatchets, loaches,
cherry barb, pineapple swordtail, zebra pleco (if I can find one) golden ancistrus pleco. Maybe one redtail black shark.

Oh, gourami and angels might be a prob, so that's either/or, I think.

Will refine the list as I go along. First I gotta get the tank, plant it and cycle it lol. :) But planning is so much fun

Last edited:

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
My idea of fish with the BGK was Australian Rainbow fish, red rainbow shark, moonlight gourami, silver dollar, clown loach, and maybe some odds and ends. I wasnt going to get the tiger barbs, just from what I was reading on this site, although I do like my tiger danios and my giant danios right now, they are a stitch to watch in my q-tank with the bubble curtain! What do you think of the option of fish above?

Swimfins

It sounds great, clown loaches are best kept in groups of 3 and can get quite big. I like the idea of giant danios too, they're ok. There are the botia loaches too that are kinda cool. I'm wondering if I won't just go with an amazon theme. Congo tetra, bosmani rainbow, angel fish, plecos, and my bkg. Too many options lol.

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
ok so what do you think the numbers should be, I really like the clown loaches, so 3 clowns, I already have 2 giant danios, BGK!!!!, what about the rest?.......I just did a google on the bosmani rainbow, and those are really neat looking, grab some of those,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store