Live foods

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gabrielandco.

Look into my eyes...
Oct 31, 2005
how do you know those frogs aren't endangered or threatened species? if my; info is correct, an example her is the illinois chorus frog. in some areas the cricket frog (a very small species) is near threatened status or have reached it. some frogs (bullfrogs) are even regulated by a hunting season for frog legs. there is such a thing as a collectors license, as well.

imo, i highly suggest you research everything more fully before making your decision.

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
lol hes not dragnetting the area and making breifcases out fo their skin. hes picking up 5 or 6 every so often to feed to fish. nobodys gonna have the fbi breaking down his door to take his fish as evidence.

yeah maybe see if its an endangered species but theres no reason to get all neurotic if its not

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
oh and also id like to thank you i think ima make a frog tank this spring i would love to grow a lepoard frog in a tank.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
5 or 6 frogs every so often adds up to a lot of frogs not breeding. if this is an endangered species that could be detrimental. im assuming we are all in this hobby because we enjoy animals, not because we like to see them eaten or anything like that. so again, i think there are better and safer options out there, whether this species of frog is threatened or not.

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
Well its a great idea to give yoru fish a balanced diet but I wont go so far as frogs. I feed my cichilds at leat 15 different types of food and it definatley has then in top shape I dont think I would risk them getting sick just from eating frogs there are about 50 other things easier to feed them. Just my opnion.

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
reptileguy2727 said:
5 or 6 frogs every so often adds up to a lot of frogs not breeding. if this is an endangered species that could be detrimental. im assuming we are all in this hobby because we enjoy animals, not because we like to see them eaten or anything like that. so again, i think there are better and safer options out there, whether this species of frog is threatened or not.

uhh i love watching the fish eat live foods. i havent the time or the energy to go gather frogs, but fish or crawdads espessially crickets and earthwoms. its like a free movie. heck if the fish was big enuff i may even try baby mice. ive watched catfish snach up juvinile ducks outa a pond and loved it.

im not here to candy coat nature and pretend it doesnt have a dark side. i want to recreate it. (no im not fighting fish or anythign stupid like that)

now i agreed with you on finding out wether or not the frogs were endangered or threatened, bit the rest of yoru post is opinion. yes your entitled to an opinion and i respect that what i dont respect is trying to mask your opinion and pass it off as absolute truth and "the only right answer".

if you got an opinion exspress it but dont try to tell people its anything other than that.

theat why i keep in refrence to myself i useually say i think fish prefer live foods . i never said live foods are the only way and if you try anythign else your fish will die of bordom and will come back to haunt you in your dreams.

if your not comfortable with live foods thats cool man do what you want. but you cant just tell everyone else what to do

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
jadefoodog said:
uhh i love watching the fish eat live foods.

I agree, there is nothing cooler than watching my birchirs stalk ghost shrimp.

Live food is raised for pred type fish. whats the difference if I buy it from the LFS or get it from my backyard?

These frogs are common frogs, they are just the babies.

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
yeah i guess if you got the time and energy to get them and the money to setula a pauladrium quarentien tank . i dont see anything morrally wrong with it. just seems a bit out of the way for myself.

oh by the way if you like watching things stalk their prey get a praying mantis they are awsome when taking down crickets raoches or spiders. they acctually take the time to calculate thengs and hunt it down. spiders i also like but they just kinda run their prey down and jump on it.

check out my betta bowl in my profile you will see what i mean

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
I used to feed my JD "HOPPER" mice they were about 2" that was about the funnest thing to watch!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Why not just setup a small tank and rasie some feeder guppies. That way you know they are safe and disease free and you can feed them a great diet which will pass onto your cichlids. You want these fish to last a long time in your tank so it seems silly to take any chances with wild caught stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store