Live foods

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
ive contemplated setting up a 60-80g diy rubbermaid tank for breeding feeders. dunno how prolific shiners are but they have to be better looking in a tank before eaten than rosey reds.

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
mosquito fish breed super easy that is always a good choice. Or you can just breed cons and use the baby cons as feeders mabey even easier.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I've already planned on raising ramhorn snails and ghost shrimp in my 20 gallon tank as feeders.

I guess I could stick a few guppies in for breeding also. Would they eat the shrimps?

If so, what other live bearer would you recommend?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Feeder guppies are pretty small but may eat the ghost shrimp larvae. The only thing smaller might be endlers.

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
feeder guppies are the same size if not smaller than endlers

remember feeder gups arent the same as the fancy ones

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
its not the live food itself that i am opposed to, its the high possibility of parasites and diseases, present in both store bought feeders and wild caught animals. in this case i would be concerned about many problems with frogs being they are an amphibian and absorb any chemicals in their environment. if i fed live food it would only be something i bred personally (which i am in the process of). on the opposite hand if you dont mind the risk of parasites and diseases (which i think your animals health should be top priority) the frogs may not be threatened, but overpopulating, in which case it would be good for you to take them out of the ecosystem and feed them (again, may not be so good for your animal).

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
yeah see im making a huge feeder breeder out of a 100g plastic horse trough for my JDs

but im going to make a tank for local perch and bluegill also and those ill feed anything thoguht about making an 8 foot bass tank also but dont have the money for that now.

gabrielandco.

Look into my eyes...
Oct 31, 2005
no reason to get all neurotic
it isn't neurotic...it is called being responsible AND covering you ***.

i used to have guppies and a few ghost shrimp in the same tank- the ghost shrimp ate my fish fry. i actually watched them grab the lttle fishes and gulp.

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
gabrielandco. said:
it isn't neurotic...it is called being responsible AND covering you ***.
yeah if your collecting by the hundreds. nobodys gonna give you a 3 million dollar fine for picking up a few frogs in your back yard and tossing them to your fish. he probably kills twice that amount mowing his lawn. if it was somethign special and not just a common frog i might not think it was so neurotic.

we have these chamelion tree frogs that change from gray to green here in okla and i acctually called the state to see if they were endangered . they said they werent and even told me the best ways to keep them. but if it had been a common leopard frog you can forget it, not worth my time.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store