Live foods

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gabrielandco.

Look into my eyes...
Oct 31, 2005
yeah if your collecting by the hundreds. nobodys gonna give you a 3 million dollar fine for picking up a few frogs
that is just the attitude that contributes to the decline of a species and contributes to illegal trading. some species tolerate or compensate for collection more than others. there are better, more responsible ways to obtain live foods or even tadpoles. there are companies, etc. that offer eggs for sale specifically for research purposes and laymen's purposes. why not go that route. it was stated before, if everyone applied this mentatlity to themselves, went out and collected, the wild population would suffer. let's look at the whole picture instead of the world that revolves only around "you" and "i"

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
roflmao. yep people picking up stuff out of their back yards must be causeing all the animal populations in the rainforest to disapear. oh wait no thats the coorperations you so blatantly love with their deforestation.

paying for something you have in your backyard to me seems sooooo , hmm whats the word for it oh yeah "stupid".

and i think 50 post ago we established that these are not endangered or threatened. "just the common ones"

you remind me of they guy with the coal burning powerplant telling some guy smoking a cigarette that hes damaging the ozone layer.

just cause something comes from a store doesnt mean its better than whats in your backyard.

oh PS: ill make sure ill let the science class that basically does the exactl same thing know just how terrible they are for you and your coorperate empire.

gabrielandco.

Look into my eyes...
Oct 31, 2005
there is absolutely no reason for you to make personal insults. this is supposed to be an intelligent discussion. and so, here i end since it has taken this route.

XxDr@g0nTamerxX

Bichirs = My Lil' Sea Dragons
Jan 18, 2006
Jamestown, North Carolina
I'm not so sure about feeding your Bichirs frogs. For one main reason I saw on some site. This guy fed his Bichir a frog/toad (I don't remember which, but I wouldn't trust either) and after a while, the eyes of his Bichir went completely white. That poor Bichir looked really bad afterwards...Let me see if I can find the picture, maybe it'll change your mind.
Poor Bichir

Hope it helps.
The person said after feeding it a meal of bullfrogs, that the right eye went cloudy, then the next day it was completely white, then the body color started to get pale.

Shane,

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
toads secrete a pioson from glands behind thier eyes. not a good idea to feed a toad to anything.

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
while reading on oscarfish.com forums (reading is about the only safe thing to do over there. i dont even bother to register an account cause it seems to be run like a nazi war machine. dont ever not agree with a mod. ive seen some people on there say "maybe so, but i still dont agree" and get reamed up one side and down the other whooooooooooo. lol ok back on topic)

over there i seen that they said theres no known illness that can transfer from crickets to oscars. i assume that would applie to other fish. i dont know this as a fact but its what they were saying over there.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i would be very surprised if there was not one possible disease or infection that would tranfer from crickets to fish, including oscars. it may not be common and all the mods on oscarfish may not have had a problem, but that doesnt make it fact. i know what you mean about the oscarfish mods. they have a vendetta against carbon that i am trying to load up ammo for to go back at them. forums are for sharing your experiences, mine contradict yours and yours contradict mine but we are both right because it did happen to each of us.

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
lol after one day of reading those forums i decided to not bother registering.

see i dont know about crickets being able to transfer illness because the biological host are so diffrent, the blood is diffrent, the meat is diffrent, what would a cricket virus even know about boenes. but i see what you mean about there probably being one. like rainbows being able to give humans a diffrent kind of tb. but even in that case the illness is highly mutated and becomes a skin irritation rather than a respritory virus. ive raised praying mantises for a while now and know people doing it for many many years and it seems illness among crickets even transferring to other incects is very very rare.

bur yeah the mods on that site have seriously got ego issues. but hell probably ust some fools who have never had any amount of authority in their life so now that they got it they want to abuse the crap out of it.

even so i think im gonna get me an oscar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store