Making water changes a bit more friendly!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I can see your point and I guess it also depends on if you have the option of just putting the screen up an inch or so. I don't have to pop the entire screen out but I suppose if I did, I might think differently...

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Actually the flow rate is just right. Just enough to give nice suction for vacuuming but not too much for emptying the tank whereby you'd be hurried to get the vacuuming done.

Sticking a hose out a window is certain to get the attention of the "condo nazi's" and isn't a viable alternative for me, besides, I really can't see taking off the window screen in the middle of winter and sucking on a hose and shoving it outside as something that I would want to do when I can do the emptying, and filling in one place, right at the sink........

Screwing a hose to the pump inlet and hooking up to 12volts seems a bit easier to me.

To each his own.........
I've been thinking about this for a bit and I have to say, if I were in a condo myself, I would think the easiest solution would just be to hook up the nozzle to the sink, get the flow with running the faucet, release the water. Then when filling the tank up, just close the nozzle and fill. I just find the pump to be more of a pain to lug out and hook up than it needs to be.... but as said, everyone, to each his own.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
electrical engineer
LMAO

They do think in strange way's. Personally those uninsulated alligator clips right next to the sink makes me get the feeling we will be calling him "sparky" from now on.

Oh man my sides hurt.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
I've never cared about the wasted water, but I can see how some might. I can also understand why some would wish to reduce the amount of time it takes to do water/tank maintenance. I think a pump is one way to get around wasting water while at the same time providing needed suction power to reduce the time it takes.

Don't know about everyone else, but if I am going to be vacuuming I prefer as much suction power as I can get. I have found the suction power to be much greater using the faucet opposed to when I turn it off. I would imagine the pump is also much greater than a simple suction as well.

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
LMAO

They do think in strange way's. Personally those uninsulated alligator clips right next to the sink makes me get the feeling we will be calling him "sparky" from now on.

Oh man my sides hurt.

There is no shock hazard at 12 volts, even in water! The threshold for shock hazard is around 32 Volts if memory serves......

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
I've been thinking about this for a bit and I have to say, if I were in a condo myself, I would think the easiest solution would just be to hook up the nozzle to the sink, get the flow with running the faucet, release the water. Then when filling the tank up, just close the nozzle and fill. I just find the pump to be more of a pain to lug out and hook up than it needs to be.... but as said, everyone, to each his own.

The tank's bottom is lower than the sink/faucet. The flow will stop when the water reaches equillibrium (water seeks it's own level) and it'll never remove all the water. Been there and done that!

Trust me, this is a whole lot easier.........

TheFanatic

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
Lol...I can tell you've never lived in a managed community! I live in a town home and the nearest window would drain the water directly atop the common path that my neighbors use and I live in Chicagoland. Do I need to say more?

Besides, what's the point? I have to fill from the kitchen sink anyway and it's just 30 bucks to do it all at the sink<shrug>.......Why move from window to sink?
I just have to setup once........
Drain it straight into the toilet. Less chance of the toilet clogging from the crap you vac out of the gravel. I used to do this when a floor drain nor a window were options.

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
Isn't it sort of bad to mix the place you put your dishes and where you pour your fish's water? This is sort of a reflex reaction from keeping herpes so I could be wrong.

I'm not inventing anything here.....People have been using this Python eductor (pump) for years and putting aquarium water down various kinds of sinks, and even some out the window!:lipssealedsmilie:

All I'm doing differently is using a simple pump.

Frankly, there's a lot worse that goes down a person's sink. Some give their pets baths in the kitchen sink.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store