maybe tank mystery solved? diagnosis: aeromonas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
According to the person at Wet Web Media, the tumor is most likely not caused by a bacterial infection. It may be from a virus or from a genetic problem. Either way, it's probably not highly contagious, which is good to hear. I've been advised to avoid further medications and just keep the water extra clean.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Yes, several months ago I had two guppies in succession with cyst-like growths on the dorsal fin ray and both guppies eventually died within a month or two of each other.

I searched forever, posted here, and never knew for certain what it was. During all my searching, that's when I learned a lot about lymphocystis.

I've seen several cases of lymphocystis, since that time, in some of the AC member's fish. I didn't think your guy had that, but he sure does look like he has some kind of tumor.

Since your antibiotic regimen seemed to have reduced the redness, he may have had a secondary infection in the skin around the growth that could have been caused by scraping it or rubbing it on decor. If he did have a secondary bacterial infection getting started, at least you may have helped ward off that problem.

I hope that he will be OK with your efforts to keep his water pristine, other than that there's not anything to do whether it's viral or genetic.

I imagine it's uncomfortable, hopefully not too much. Either he will get used to the thing and start eating or things may go downhill. I wouldn't give up on him too soon, but if he does seem to be wasting away you might want to consider euthanasia.

As long as he doesn't seem to be suffering I wouldn't resort to that. I hope your little guy will be OK.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Wet web media... that sounds like a good site. Is it www.wetwebmedia.com or something else? I'd like to add that link to my "Aquaria Disease" folder in my "Aquaria folder" I have on my laptop. (good thing my folders are digital... if all the articles and pictures I've saved from research were on paper they would fill a file cabinet, almost, lol)

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Wet web media... that sounds like a good site. Is it www.wetwebmedia.com or something else?
Yep, that's the site. It's really great. It contains tons of articles on fishkeeping, plus there's an archive of questions that readers have sent in. The people who maintain the site will answer questions, but they are very strict about submissions. They encourage you to do research on your own before turning to them for help. And they require that you check your grammar and spelling and avoid the usual internet shorthands (so, no "lol's" and no smiley faces, and no writing in all lower-case). But, if you do send them a question, you are guaranteed of an expert opinion. My emails have usually been answered by a zoologist Neale Monks, who's a contributor to fish magazines like Practical Fishkeeping. And the site is copyrighted to Bob Fenner, who, from what I can tell, is about as famous as someone gets in the world of fishkeeping :)
I try to turn to their service only after I've exhaused all my other possibilities, but they've always been super helpful and super knowledgeable.

It sure looks like the way they describe lymphocystis.
I know, it really does. If you look at pics of fish pox, too, it also looks similar. The two viruses are related, but apparently fish pox affects cyprinids while lymphocystis does not.

This morning, I was happy to see that the barb did eat one little piece of food, although his tumor looked way more gnarly. It seemed to have ruptured. At first I thought there was cottony growth (like columnaris :eek:) but upon closer inspection, I think it's just skin.
Just before I turned the lights out this evening, the tumor seemed to be slightly less gnarly-looking, although the poor barb is still hiding.
I've done two 50% water changes today, just to get the tank as clean as possible (I finally got a python!!!! What was I thinking, not getting one earlier? :duh: Life is so much easier!) Anyway, I'll see how things look tomorrow morning....

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
Neale Monks is awesome! They also consider MelaFix worthless which I agree with. People get a little bent out of shape when I say that though.
If it's lymphocystis you'll know because in the next 2-3 days his nose will heal completelyl up with no meds. I had a catfish with it and it was just gross looking. 3 days later you couldn't even tell anything had been wrong.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I just saw this a couple of days ago...and for the record it took me about 30 minutes to find which forum I actually saw it on

Read through your thread and I'm really interested to know what it is to be honest

If I were you I would contact Chefkeith in this link...he had a very similar situation to what you're describing...and with a barb also

Pm him and get some more info on his situation and bounce back details...see what he says

He is extremely knowledgeable not just about loaches but general disease and illness in aquaria

here is the link
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=18638

and in case I don't get back to the thread

I wish you the best of luck and keep on top of it...don't give up
I'd also like to know the outcome and diagnosis if you remember

if not I'm sure I'll stumble upon it one day

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Please don't mistake silence for disinterest. Not having anything useful to add just clutters up a thread but I assure you there are many of us reading and following this thread.

Good luck!

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Please don't mistake silence for disinterest. Not having anything useful to add just clutters up a thread but I assure you there are many of us reading and following this thread.

Good luck!
Thanks! And, no, I wasn't feeling at all like folks weren't interested. I just assumed that folks were probably as stumped as me and had no clue what was wrong with the fish :huh:
Plus, deciding to go ahead with the anti-bacterial meds was a judgment call I had to make. If this were someone else's thread, I too would hesitate before jumping in with advice on such a judgment call, when no one really knows what's going on.
But I am glad to know that a few people are following this and may get some useful info out of it.

Thanks for that link, Tay690. It was very helpful, and reassuring. I am really hoping that the problem is a virus like lymphocystis or fish pox, because these seem to be relatively non-threatening.

As for an update today, the tumor actually looks much better. It has ruptured, leaving behind an open sore, but "sore" isn't really the right word because it doesn't look red or inflamed or bloody. It's just a patch of exposed skin. The fish's profile is once again smooth--there's no huge protruding lump anymore.

Despite looking better, however, the fish is still hiding and still not eating. This continues to worry me, because almost all descriptions of lymphocystis and fish pox say that the affected fish will act and eat normally. I just keep hoping that if the tumor continues to heal up, the poor guy will eventually feel better and start eating again.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
The fish's profile is once again smooth--there's no huge protruding lump anymore.
Well, maybe I shouldn't say "smooth." There no lump anymore, but now there's a rather deep pit in its place. It's really hard to decide if this is getting worse or getting better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store