maybe tank mystery solved? diagnosis: aeromonas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
"Funnily enough, I tend to eat more when garlic is added on my meal."

I agree wholeheartedly lol

Leah when you say that it "ruptured" did it explode and shrink in size? or did something physically fall off?

in one of the threads I linked the guy was saying the that the tumor actually fell off the fish and one of his loaches ate it (yummy)

I'm checking on this thread so often lol I wanna know what's going on too

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Leah when you say that it "ruptured" did it explode and shrink in size? or did something physically fall off?

in one of the threads I linked the guy was saying the that the tumor actually fell off the fish and one of his loaches ate it (yummy)
Yuck! That's totally gross! :yuck:

As for my barb, the tumor looked like it exploded at first. It was pretty messy looking. But, after a few hours, it was just a deep pit.

Today, I guess I have good news and bad news. Good news is, the pit looks much better. It's much more shallow than yesterday and seems to be healing up.
Bad news is, the fish is still not eating :confused: This morning, he seems much weaker than yesterday. And, he's really pale. He's so pale that at first I mistook him for one of the female barbs.
I'm really stumped, because it seems like he should be feeling better as his tumor heals up. I mean, really, after all this, if I manage to get this tumor healed and he still dies from not eating, I will be so sad :(

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
even with the garlic he's not eating? that's no good

must be bacterial if nothing physically came off...and it gradually got smaller then reduced to a pit...like infection seeping out of a wound

short of force feeding the fish...if he won't take the food soaked in garlic I don't know what else could stimulate his appetite

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Yes, I used the garlic oil this morning. All the other fish went crazy, but he went off to a corner and hid. I'm contemplating euthanasia, because slow starvation is just not a possibility. As of tomorrow, he will have not eaten for a full week. I'll give it until Saturday, at least.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Did you try to tempt him with frozen bloodworms? Not many fish can resist those.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Yah, FBWs are very tempting. You can even smear garlic on them, too. I'd try without the garlice at first, it may be their own smell will be enticing enough.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Good idea. I'll grab some frozen bloodworms this weekend. Neale Monks said that fish may go at least 2 weeks without food, so I will give the barb at least another week to get its appetite back.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
True, fish can go very long without food. Keep trying. It sounds funny, but maybe the fish is just extra sensitive. Just like some kids scrape their knee and don't care while others cry for hours.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Unfortunately, I don't think this little fish is going to make it. There's been no improvement since I last posted. His sore is better, but he looks like a ghost--totally pale. And he just sits on the gravel in a corner all day. Plus, the skin on his face doesn't look normal. It almost looks like he's bruised where the sore used to be. It's hard to describe, so I'll try to get another pic if I can find the camera batteries.
Anyway, I guess I'm switching my treatment plan to "palliative care" :( My goal is just to keep him comfortable, and my problem is now deciding whether or not he's suffering and whether euthanasia is called for. I have clove oil on hand, and I bought some vodka last night, just in case. I just hate the thought of chasing him down with a net, because I know he can still swim quickly when he needs to. So, I'm putting off trying to get him out of the tank until it looks like he won't put up a fight.
All in all, this has been a really confusing experience. I feel like I was able to help cure the sore, but not what was actually making the fish sick. The sore seems to have been only a symptom of something else, but I still have no clue what's made him go pale and refuse food.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Leah... I'm so sorry your little guy is not better.

There are so many possibilities as to what is wrong with him. I've wondered if he has an infection in the cellular or skellatal tissues of the head, nose or throat, that may have extended by fistula to the surface and then ruptured. If so, he may have a partially obstructed throat.

Or, he may just feel so crummy, due to some other disease process going on internally, that he doesn't have an appetite.

Whatever it is... you've tried so hard to help him.

On the matter of euthanasia: In all cases I've had to perform I used a glass 4 cup measuring cup to lower into the tank, it practically disappears, and I position it near the fish and with the net, gently steer him into the cup, at which time I can then come up out of the water.

At that point I have him in the vessel I will keep him in to administer the drops of clove oil. There's no frantic pursuit of the fish. Once in the cup I move him to a quiet place on my kitchen counter. He swims a bit because of the change in his container, but then is pretty much still.

If you have a clear squarish container that would be even better, but the measuring cup works fine.

I wish it wouldn't come to this, but if it does please know that you've done all you could to get him well, and the final act of love and kindness will be doing this for him, when you feel it is necessary.

I'm truly sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store