maybe tank mystery solved? diagnosis: aeromonas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
Leah, here's a picture of a catfish I had that I believe had lymphocystis. It was a real small spot 24 hrs before this and then 24 hrs after this picture it was icky-red and 3 times bigger. Then overnight it went away and you couldn't even tell it'd been there. It looks similar what your fish has. Except this was a fish I'd just gotten.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Yes, that really does look like my fish's lump. Thanks for the pic. It's good to hear that yours recovered--gives me hope!
I will say, the pit is a little scary--it looks so deep, and it's right where his poor little nostril used to be. However, it also doesn't look any worse than it did earlier today. I think it's crucial, right now, to avoid infection, while he has an open wound. So, I did another 50% water change (loving that new python!), and we'll see if the extra-clean water will give his immune system time to get that exposed skin healing up.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Sounds like a plan, Leah. I'm pulling for him. Hope the little guy gets better.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
you know it almost sounds like a wart or something
the way you're describing the hole is almost identical to a wart
the pit you're describing sounds like the root of a wart being extracted

are there any diseases that fit this type of description?

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
maybe I wasn't so far off...apparently there are fish warts but from what I've been reading in every case the fish still feed and act normally

if you want to check up on it yourself here are the 2 links

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=296951

http://www.cichlids.com/disc/read.php?1,33339,33351

not much info on the diagnosis and some conflicting info...but apparently they do exist

and for future referrence don't google fish wart or wart on fish lol
Good Charlotte - The fish and the wart Lyrics for about 10 pages lol

hope this helps

sincerely,
Taylor

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Thanks! That's good info.
I updated N. Monks at Wet Web Media about the tumor rupturing, and now he's reconsidered the possibility of it being bacterial after all. He says that the fish may have gotten an infection inside it's nostril, which then caused the huge tumor-like swelling and the eventual open sore/pit.
I do think that something more must be going on which is causing my little guy not to eat, since with both warts and viral tumors, it seems that fish should eat and act normally.
But, I think clean water is still my best bet. There's no treatment for viruses and warts, and clean water can sometimes be the best medication for bacterial problems. So as long as I see no signs of further inflammation, I'm just going to keep up the water changes.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Leah just the fact that it enlarged then ruptured leads me to believe it is bacterial in origin.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Did anyone suggest using garlic to perk up his appetite. I've read that fish love it, and maybe if you put some garlic juice in some smushed english pea he might eat some of that. Any other food that you give him could be soaked in garlic juice to try to encourage him to eat.

I agree that pristine water will help his immune system fight this. However, if you see any more redness around the lesion, or any redness anywhere else on his body I'd jump back on antibiotics ASAP.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Leah just the fact that it enlarged then ruptured leads me to believe it is bacterial in origin.
I agree that pristine water will help his immune system fight this. However, if you see any more redness around the lesion, or any redness anywhere else on his body I'd jump back on antibiotics ASAP.
As we all seem to be thinking now, there's something bacterial going on, so I decided to go one step further than just clean water. It's funny, because ksane mentioned earlier that Wet Web Media usually advises against Melafix-type products. And, like ksane, I too have my doubts about their effectiveness.
But, in my last email from Neale Monks, he said, and I quote: "This is one of those times tea-tree oil might be worth a shot." :)
Although, he followed that up by saying that I should have some stronger antibiotics on hand, just in case (which I do).
So, anyway, long story short, I went out and bought some Melafix and dosed the tank. At the very least, it won't hurt anything. And if it "speeds healing" like a lot of people say it does, then that's even better.

And Melody, I do have this garlic oil product with vitamins that you can add to fish food, so I'll mix up some of that tomorrow. Good idea.
I've been thinking, the poor barb is now missing one nostril. He must be having trouble smelling food. And, that pit is so deep, I wonder if it's not impairing the nerve that connects the other nostril to his little brain--I mean, maybe he can't smell at all. I hope not....

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Did anyone suggest using garlic to perk up his appetite. I've read that fish love it, and maybe if you put some garlic juice in some smushed english pea he might eat some of that. Any other food that you give him could be soaked in garlic juice to try to encourage him to eat.
It's the allicin from the garlic that gives a pungent odor that it also stimulates their appetite. Funnily enough, I tend to eat more when garlic is added on my meal.:y220d: :D In most cases, garlic had been known to help resist most parasites that infest the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store