maybe tank mystery solved? diagnosis: aeromonas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for the kind words, Melody. I'm still hoping for a dramatic recovery, but that doesn't look likely, at least not as of today. The plastic measuring cup idea is great. I think I'll pick up a cheap new one at the store, because I'm scared the ones on my kitchen may introduce soap or something into the tank.
I've noticed he's been hiding inside one of my flower pots. I'm thinking that if I can lower the cup into the water and line it up with the opening of the flower pot, he may just swim right in.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
How's he doing, Leah. I hope he's getting better.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for asking about him. He's still white as a sheet, not better at all. Poor guy. I'm just putting off euthanasia, because I hate to do it, but I know I should probably do it soon. Today marks 2 weeks without food--at least based on when I noticed the initial bump.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'd go ahead and do it if you can. You've done everything possible for him.
This is tough, but if you can.... go ahead. Just follow the directions carefully.

You want to be sure to shake up the mixture of clove oil and water so it's emulsified.
I used a turkey baster to drop a little mixed tank water with a drop or two of clove oil.

In 10 to 15 minutes the fish is lying on its side, asleep in the bottom of the tank. I would administer, very slowyly, more mixed tank water and clove oil. You want the mixture to be gentle so I would suck up tank water and add another drop or two to the turkey baster, if you have one.

You don't want a concentrated mixture to hit him too soon. It is very gentle and peaceful. I continue to add the mixture, shaking frequently, and he goes deeper and deeper. Once he seems to have stopped breathing I add more, but you could also do the vodka coup de gras and finish him that way.

He's totally out and unaware. Peacefully and gently put to sleep forever.

I'm so sorry Leah. I wish you weren't going through this.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for that information, Melody. I did this once before, with clove oil and vodka, with one of my husband's platies, and it was a bit traumatic for everyone involved. I think we added too much clove oil at once, and I don't think we waited long enough for it to take affect before adding the vodka. There was nothing too dramatic, but the fish gilled rapidly when we added the vodka, which caused us to kinda freak out. Although it died within only 2 or 3 seconds, thankfully.
But, based on what you just said, I think I have a better idea now about how to add the clove oil slowly and wait for the fish to fall asleep.
He's sleeping in the tank now, so I don't think I'll disturb him tonight, but I think I should go ahead and do this tomorrow.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
That same thing happened to the first time I did this. I had a guppy that was in the glass measuring cup and I added too much clove oil at once. Even though it was well shaken and thoroughly emulsified it was irritating and he reactied vigorously, which caused me terrilbe distress. More importantly, of course, it caused him distress.

You just want to give it time. I didn't realise that even just one drop in the amount of water that you pull up in a turkey baster, I'm guessing 3 or 4 ounces, will put them to sleep. It takes a little longer, but under 15 minutes. I drip that very slowly so he's not even getting the full drop all at once.

Of course, bigger fish would take more, not just because of their size, but the fact that they would have to be in a bigger container like a bucket or small tub.

To me... I don't care if it takes longer... as long as it is peaceful and there is no distress experienced by the fish.

I've never used the alcohol/vodka finish, I've just upped the clove oil concentration to the fatal dose, which if memory serves is 50-60 drops per gallon.

In my experience I find that, once the fish is asleep, I put 10 drops in an old clean plastic coke or gateraid bottle with probably 8 to 12 ounces of water. I gently pour out some of the water from the vessel he's in until it's almost empty. Then I pour the stronger mixture into the cup.

I check back in 30 minutes and he is dead without a doubt. Even then, I put him in a baggie and put him in the freezer so there is no possible way of mistake.

I know that last step is not necessary, but I do it anyway. Then on trash day he goes out.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
R.I.P rosy barb (pictures)

After going back and forth on this several times, I decided that it seemed pretty certain that he was just going to waste away from not eating. Plus, I began to wonder whether he wasn't in some amount of pain, due to the bruised appearance of his head, so this morning I put him to sleep. And, Melody, thanks to your advice, the whole process was very peaceful.
I got him in a measuring cup and then mixed up an emulsion of tank water and 2 drops of clove oil in a spare test tube from a test kit. I used the cap to add just a pinch the emulsion to the cup with the fish. He didn't react at all. Every 5 minutes or so, I shook up the mixture again and added another capful. After the 5th or 6th capful, he began to roll over onto his side, with apparently no stress. Once he was upside down, I added several capfuls at once, and his breathing slowed down. I let him stay like that for a while, and then I mixed up a stronger emulsion, which I added in 2 or 3 large doses. By the time I was finished with those, his gills weren't moving at all. The whole process took a little over a half hour. I added the vodka, just to be sure he was gone.
For the sake of documentation, I'm posting some post-mortum pics, so everyone can see the external symptoms. In the first ones, it may appear that the two white spots on the tip of his nose are indentions, but they're actually on top of a bump. I couldn't get the angle right with the camera to show that:

Here's a shot showing most of his body. He's very pale, but he pretty much looked normal other than what's on his face:

As the pics show, his nose still has some kind of bump on it, which totally obscures his nostril. And there's redness around his eye. The pics don't show it well, but that whole side of his face was red, as if he were bruised deep under the skin, or maybe he had more tumors internally.
I'm about to go do a water change and run some carbon, to get rid of the melafix. Thanks to everyone who gave me some input (or just sympathy :)) on this. I still wish I had a more conclusive answer as to what was really wrong with him, but I'm glad that it seems to be an isolated case in my tank.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Leah, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad that it went so well for you and him.
Strange to put it that way, but the peaceful stress free manner in which you were able to carry this out was a blessing for him, and you.

I know that, for me, knowing how to do this, knowing that it can be so free from trauma or distress for the fish has enabled me to be ready for this... and has helped me make this decision when I have felt it was necessary.

I don't know for sure what this was, but it looks a lot to me that this may have been hemorrhagic septicemia. The two lighter spots on top of the bump look like infection coming to a head. He may have had swelling in his throat or mouth from infection that made it difficult to eat. I may be incorrect but it looks like that right eye was starting to bulge.

I don't know if you still have him, but if you are able to do it you could do a necropsy to see more clearly the tissues of the head, mouth and throat. That may be too difficult and I understand if so.

Again, please know how truly sorry I am your little guy couldn't make it. It was a courageous thing you did for him. A great kindness to him at true sacrifice to yourself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store