My 3ft Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
LOL, it sure looks like it but no that's just a piece of floss i stuck there to make the skimmer level. I have since removed it, seems to have leveled itself.. :)

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
looks like my skimmer is finally breaking in now, in the last day it's produced the same amount of muck that previously took it a week. I was told it can take the sk-200 skimmers 3-4 weeks to hit their groove. A budget skimmer but seems to be working ok now. Also, my water has over the last day become so clear it's hard to tell there's is water in the tank :)

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
Well, my skimmer just wasn't consistent, wasn't producing, couldn't get it out to mod it, etc. I decided to go with a reef octopus nw-110 instead. THE FUN BEGINS! I couldn't get the big sk200 clunker out of my sump! I didn't have an easy way to empty my sump so... call me crazy..

What to do what to do. I opted to DESTROY the sk200! yikes..

ready to slice and dice..

sliced... and came right out

New skimmer went in perfectly

I don't expect it to produce for a while. I have the bubble level just at the start of the neck is that ok? I heard to keep it there for a while then slowly raise it..

phew..

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
The higher you raise it the wetter your skim is going to be.. I haven't broken in a new one but what level you set it as is really going to be what is happening in your tank.. (ie nitrate levels)

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
So far this thing is quiet as can be. The sk200 was insanely loud, it's as if my whole tank is silent now, yay. And the main tube looks like milk, I didn't have that in the sk200. Hoping it starts to kick in in a few days. Also hoping I've got the water in the right spot being just where the neck starts. I've searched high and low can't seem to find info on the skimmer and where to adjust the water. It's probably easier done once it starts producing then I can raise lower to get dry/wet..

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
...also the water depth in my skimmer chamber is 10inches so I am not sure if that is too high. I think I could raise it off the bottom 2 inches and still maybe get the cup out but if I do not need to I'll just leave it as is.

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
Just made an auto-topoff since i'm going away for a few days:

Aqualifter on a timer, i have it set to run for 2mins in the morning and 2mins at night. Past few days it's kept the level in my sump spot on. I know it's not as good as having a flow switch etc but seems to be close enough..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store