My New Discus Planted Tank - What do you think ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
plecos that i'm thinking of -

gold nugget
royal pleco
bristle nose

the water is 3 days old going to 4 ..... i'm thinking its cloudy cause of the eco-complete or the gravel .... hopefully it'll clear up in a few days ...........

thanks for all the info guys..... keep them coming .........

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Those guys sound fine, I know people with them in their discus tanks, and no probs. The water is probably clouding cause of the plant substrate. The filtration you have on there is more than adaquate.

Emg:
Cories are awesome. I have a couple sterbais in my 55 juvi tank and they do a great job keeping it clean, along with a pair of Farlowella that tank always look like the glass couldn't get cleaner. Its all bare bottom.

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
has anyone dealt with discusmadness.com? thinking of buying some from him, since hes kinda local to me ....

NatakuTseng

Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Avoid them, I haven't heard good things about them at all. If your looking for adult fish, look into http://www.discushans.com he always has 5" or bigger fish in stock directly imported from the Stendker Discus Farm in Germany, some of the best quality fish in the world. His prices are also extremely reasonable for fish that size. I Can deal with Hans on a wholesale basis as well so depending on how many fish you are ordering, I could help you out with some prices a little bit less than what Hans is asking. My e-mail is GreenMountainDiscus@gmail.com get in touch with me and I will see what I can do for ya.

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
discushans seems like the site is down ......how about jack wattley .... i've found a local distributor of their discus .... even closer than discusmadness .....

their website is http://www.fishexpo.net/

hawkeye01

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
I hate to butt in. But I am starting a discus community tank. After a LOT of reading and research I realized that 4"+ is the size of discus that I will need because I do not have a grow out tank. As much as I want one the money just isnt there. Right now I am waiting on my tank to stablize, cycling is done but the plants just started Corporate. I want everything to be right before I put in the pricey discus. But my question is could you help me out with a little discount? or a good word. Im about 4 hours from his store, and Im debating to do the mail order thing or just drive. But I have heard that you pay 3 times the price of the fish in shipping. How may fish would you have to buy for the wholesale price?

Last edited:

NatakuTseng

Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Shipping usually runs $75(I can see what I can do about that cost) a box for overnight, your gonna be paying $60-70 for a 5inch fish. Its really worth it. What I am going to be doing is ordering a full box of fish from Hans to get the wholesale pricing, Qing them for 2 weeks, and then I will be able to ship them out. Take a look at his site, and let me know what you want, if you guys could prepay for the fish I would be able to get them to you that much quicker. Send me an e-mail about what you would want and I can get back to you on prices, also if you can send me your zip code i can give you a more accurate shipping quote.

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
i'm liking the following ones -

blue cobalt $65
blue diamond $75
blue pigeon blood $75
snake skin blue $80
flachen $65
red pigeon blood $75
marlboro red $75
red turquoise $65

i'm alomst liking them all !!! lol .... i cant afford all of them ...... :duh:

psychadelicdrea

AC Members
Oct 6, 2004
**** i wouldnt mind havein a few discus's but geez...the thought of a bare bottem tank and tons of water changes........ehh ill stick with my large cichlids and africans

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store