My New Discus Planted Tank - What do you think ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Personally, I would do the cardinals first, then the discus, then the other fish... or put the discus first. That way they'll be acustom to their surrounds before they encounter... more than likely, things that they have never seen before. I say the cardinals first, though, because they move slow and are small, and their presence should help the discus feel safe in their new surroundings.

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
i was thinking of the discus last, since they are the most expensive .... if anything goes wrong, i would hate to lose 6 adult discus .... that would make me cry .....

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I LOVE it Monk !!!

When I first set up my 29 it was cloudy for a long time. You could buy some of those micro floss filters that are supposed to remove tiny particles like that or use that "clear" stuff you add to the water for clearing up cloudy tanks. I'm guessing it's just dust from the new gravel/substrate you have in there...or, being a new tank could be a bacteria blume.

Patience is hard sometimes lol...especially when you have such a nice settup there...it'll look great once it does clear up ! Good JOB ! :thm: :clap:

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
thx ..... guess i'll just wait it out and start do some small pwc .......

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I would do several larger water changes, to see if that helps the water turbitity if you haven't already.

Just some quick questions to help you have more success.

Are you fishless cycling? And, do you have a quarentine tank (s) ready for your new fish's arrival?

If you do the discus last, you'll need at least a 55g Q-tank or 2 29g q-tanks. If you do the other fish, you could have signifigantly smaller tanks.

If you're worried about how your new discus will do, I would put them in second after the cardinals. The discus should be q-ed for at least 3-4 weeks before being put in with the other fish so the cardinals will alert you to any problems that may be in the tank.

rummy

Registered Member
May 25, 2005
Don't bury the java ferns and anubias, tie them onto driftwood, rocks or other decorations. If you still want to bury them, don't bury the rhisome (thick part where the leaves and "roots" originate from), just bury the roots, otherwise it's gonna rot and die.

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
oh ... def will tie up the plants .... i didn't know that ... thx man.....

as for the QT tank ... don't have one yet .... but will be getting one, but deciding on the size .... there's no fish in the tank yet .... decidng on what first, the cardinals or the plecos and cories ...... or maybe the discus first as someone stated ?

will start to do some water changes tonight and see how it goes for a few days ..... thx for all the help guys !!! .... keep the great info coming ......

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Is this your first setup?

W/e it is good luck with the discus, i dunno why you have cloudy water with that filtration, its gotta be your subtrate or something, mine only went cloudy for a day max, if it stays cloudy then it means your not filtering enough, but you have 2 externals running yea?

What filters are those?

I think stone subtrate is pb a bad choice for discus though, it holds a lot more crap that what sand or no subtrate will.

africamonk

AC Members
May 9, 2005
its not my first tank .... but its is my first planted discus tank ..... the filters are Eheim 2128 Thermos running thru the AGA overflows ..... i only put the eco-complete and the flourite cause i've read thats what the plants would need ...... i'm gonna give it 2 more weeks to clear .... then i'll panic ! ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store