My new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Thank you! Snails are very photogenic, Lmao. Fish are too fast.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Snail update: it is not a mystery snail, its an apple snail and its illegal in my state according to the LFS. Thanks petsmart!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Nice snail! Apparently they are illegal in the USA as a whole. I wanted one after seeing yours, but I probably cant get one now. Oh well, at least you have one!

Great looking tank by the way. How are the gourami (s?) doing? Are they still aggressive?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
There not illegal in Fl, they can be found wild here and are sold in some pet stores

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Also are you sure its a apple snail? It looks more like a mystery to me or at least iv never seen a apple snail that color

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
great lookin tank. quick question: is does that tank have the same footprint as a 40 breeder? And where did you get that stand. It looks pretty nice.
The tank size is 30x18x12 (technically a 28. whatever gallon tank, but sold as a 30 gallon breeder.)
I actually got the stand from a co worker, it was her fathers old custom TV stand. Thanks for the compliments!!!

Nice snail! Apparently they are illegal in the USA as a whole. I wanted one after seeing yours, but I probably cant get one now. Oh well, at least you have one!
Great looking tank by the way. How are the gourami (s?) doing? Are they still aggressive?
I can look at my petsmart to see if they are still available. I did buy mine at least a year ago though...
As for my gourami's they no longer shimmer dance at each other, because one apparently died from dwarf gourami syndrome. it was alive and well before bed, dead as a door nail 6 hours later, water parameters where normal and no noticeable signs I.E. ick or burnt gills, etc.

Also are you sure its a apple snail? It looks more like a mystery to me or at least iv never seen a apple snail that color

It was sold to me as a Ivory mystery snail, but he has a siphon tube which is one of the identifiers of an apple according to what I was told and this info was backed up with several links and a few other sources.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
uploadfromtaptalk1343607388488.jpg

Here is a full shot of the stand.
uploadfromtaptalk1343607450639.jpg

And here is my snails siphon tube. Also I looked and my petsmart has at least 2 apple's in their tank still.

uploadfromtaptalk1343607388488.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1343607450639.jpg

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
I think a lot of this confusion stems from common names. Pomacea diffusa is called mystery snail or apple snail. pomacea caniculata is called giant apple snail, can beer found wild in Florida, and it's illegal to transport across state lines without a permit.
For what it's worth, both species have breathing siphons. I'm not sure where you heard that mystery snails didn't?
The two species are very similar, other than size shell opening shape it's the best identifier.
applesnail.net has good illustrations.
Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I've kept mystery snails for years. They will only eat plants if they are STARVING. (unless is wasting/dead plants) I have too many in a 45g~ish snail tank that's fed once a day, sometimes skip a day, and they ate a java fern I had in there. I have over 10 in a heavily planted tank, they don't eat plants. Yours also looks pretty large. I thought when I first saw it, it was an apple.

Do Apple Snails eat aquarium plants?
A: This mainly depends on the species, most species are likely to consume your plants to some degree, while other species don't. Have a look at the Care to find out how to feed your apple snails.
http://www.applesnail.net/ Has a list of different species.
http://www.squidoo.com/Mystery_Snails
Here is some of the info used to determine what kind... maybe I missed something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store