Need some guidance with Neo. Brichardi/Pulcher Plz

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
k so i have a picture and its really crappy cuz i cant seem to find my camera, so i took it with my laptop webcam. all the super white glowy crap u see are shells placed in every which way to make lots and lots of caves and hide out. there are 2 big conch shells 1 in each corner and some plants i dont remember the names. This tank was a planted tank so the gravel is still the one i used before, i forgot the type of gravel but it was one of those live bacteria plant mix things. Filter is Rena Filstar XP4...should i add another filter to the tank? I have a couple of Marineland Emperor 400,Aquaclear 500's, and i think i still have like 2 diatoms in the garage. Pittbull i saw ur tank pics, i wanted to know wt was up with the 2 power heads u had going in ur tang tank? O btw does any1 have any links for ugf systems? I've never really used them before and wanted to know if they would be a good edition to my 20 gal fry tank?

Btw there is 1 kissing gourami, 1 congo tetra, 1 gold belly barb, and YES 10 feeder goldfish! The goldfish are just there for today they are going to my little nieces tanks and the rest are going into my 10 gal.

Last edited:

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I kept both species for several years and, as stated, the first breeding pair will likely systematically eradicate all the other fish in their territory; especially once fry are produced. I also wouldn't keep the two species in the same tank for the reasons already mentioned.

Mark

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
I do agree with you wesleydnunder, I do not want to cross the color strains. I actually got the 4 adult Pulcher from a local shop and 1 of them turned out to be a Brichardi. They will def remain in the tank till a pair is formed or until the fins and overall health of the fish get better enough that I will be able to tell the male and female apart. After that its a species tank and as for the rest of them they will go in my 40 breeder till I can get myself a 120.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You might want to use rocks instead and stack them up. That way, it won't be so hard to clean the tank. Also, that's what brichardi's natural environment is.

As far as a UGF in your fry tank, I would just go bare bottom with sponge filters. Bare bottoms are much more practical as grow-outs, as you can keep them clean very easily.

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
yea i wanted to put rocks, but so **** hard to find at local shops here. I don't know what to do. Some people suggested that i take a trip to a lake or park and collect some...what do you guys thing?

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I don't pay for rocks. I just find them, like that.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
You can get the rocks from a creek just clean em real good, As for the powerheads in my setups i attach a sponge filter to each one this acts as a filter and i always have the bubbles for the looks really its just i like it..

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
finally got some rocks added to the tank! I can't wait till I get my new camera, will def put some nice pics up soon. I had a few concerns about the 3 bigger Pulchers and the 1 big brichardi...out of the 4, the 2 Pulchers hang together without any problems...and one of those 2 seems to be the "boss"...he picks on the 3rd pulcher and the brichardi is left alone...what should I do? I know i will have to remove him but i was wondering if i could just add a divider in the tank for him. Also, what brand and type of food do you guys recommend? I tried Omega One Natural Protein Formula Super Color Flake food, as well as the TertaMin Tropical Flakes, Wardley Chiclid Slow Sinking Crumbles, they do not like any of those they just spit it back out...the only think they eat are frozen brine shrimp =( ....I don't mind just feeding them the same thing, but shouldn't I be feeding them some other stuff as well? They do not eat spirulina things either.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Definitely do not use the brine shrimp as a staple. A spirulina based flake or pellet would be best I would think. It may take time to get them used to it but just keep trying...they will not starve voluntarily. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store