Need some guidance with Neo. Brichardi/Pulcher Plz

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I kept both species for several years and, as stated, the first breeding pair will likely systematically eradicate all the other fish in their territory; especially once fry are produced. I also wouldn't keep the two species in the same tank for the reasons already mentioned.

Mark
This has been my experience as well. I found that constantly rotating the adults out worked fairly well. Lots of culling with these guys... expect a spawn every month numbering 50- 200 fry at a time. Parents will be agitated at other N. pulchers not of their blood line. If kept in a single pair older offspring will help look after the young. This can be misleading though as these fish pair off and break away from the commune to breed. If insufficient room is provided they will eat their young and relentlessly attack each other. I did not enjoy them but can see how a species tank could be fun ( but mostly profitable ), for awhile.
As was mentioned, beware of Brichardi Death Squads.

Last edited:

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
So my stupid filter decides to turn off for some odd reason while I was out of town for 2 days...Lots of deaths =( I was thinking I would take this time and completely change the tank. I need new gravel, should I go with sand or crushed coral?

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
Btw thanks Pittbull for the offer on NLS I ended up going to that pet shop and they had some so I picked it up. It was expensive and when I got home, the seal wasn't there so I think I got an opened can >.<

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
Crap forgot to ask for some advice lol....the pulcher and brichardi won't eat food for some reason. The water is back to normal now i added an extra emperor 400 to the tank and aquaclear 500 as well. I tried live black worms, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, the NLS 1mm pellets and flake food...they will not even look at it. I'm afraid if they don't eat soon they will die. The bellies are turning inward and they are very sluggish. What should I do?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Make sure your water perimeters are ok first if the levels are fine try some Garlic based food flakes with Krill should stimulate them to eat..

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Unusual I'd say. I found brichardi to be aggressive eaters. Try bloodworms.... add garlic to the food. What Pittbull said. I would definitely check the params. Did you cycle the tank?

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
The water is fine and the tank has been up since like 8 years, just the brichardi are new...I tried to get garlic based pellets/flakes and I could not find any :help2:

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
So you tested the water then? Just saying, your pics look like a tank that had just been reaquascaped. After the water I would suspect the fish... shipping methods, etc. Ammonia poisoning can take some time before death occurs.
Again, it's highly unusual IME for brichardi to reject just about ANY food.

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
Hmm, you are right Afro I did reaquascape it before the filter went on the fritz. The amonia, nitrate, nitrite, Ph, Gh and Kh are all good. Maybe I should throw in some stress Zyme?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store